Naboo

Maia

I spent most of the trip thinking about what Ren said, and I just couldn't wrap my head around it. Yes, I'm my own person. If I wasn't, I wouldn't be spending every moment strategically keeping my small part of the Order in line.

Emotions? I kept those for when I was alone—preferably in the shower, but any soundproof room would do. My private training room was a top second. They were too strong, too overwhelming. Sometimes I wasn't even sure why I was crying, but I knew other people could not see that side of me. My men and women could not see how weak I really was, and my leaders especially couldn't. It was unfortunate Ren had witnessed so much.

Personal goals? Prevent as much destruction and death as possible. The more under my command, the better.

Hobbies and interests? That's where he lost me. I do not have any. I suppose I enjoy being in the dueling ring. I love when something goes so perfectly right on the battlefield, every piece falling into place as if I were a puppeteer.

I liked the fathier, but I've always liked animals.

I like my ship. It's only been out of the shipyards for a few months; she's fresh and fast and I enjoyed tinkering with her.

I've even grown fond of the absolute monstrosity that is the Finalizer. I enjoyed standing on the bridge, staring out into space.

But hobbies? Who had time for those? My hobbies were anything that made me faster, stronger, and smarter.

"Ramaiara?" I tensed at the name, so long forgotten. We had just walked into the courtyard of my mother's massive estate, heading toward the service area, and I was trying to keep my head down. It was probably this damn pantsuit—though I was able to recognize that my officer's uniform would attract further attention.

"It's just Maia," I said as I turned to see... Eric. It took me a second to recognize him, as the last time I'd seen him, we were only a meter tall.

"Wow, it really is you." His eyes flicked to Ren, standing behind me, then he started closer. "Are you here for Mama?"

I blinked at him for a moment, unable to find the words. He still called her Mama.

He'd grown into an extremely handsome man—but all I could see was the little boy I'd grown up with.

The little boy I drug out of a flooded river, blood covering his entire face as it poured out of a lethal head wound. The boy who, years later, had screamed as stormtroopers marched me away, begging me to stay, my uncle's arms wrapped around him.

Finally, I turned back the way I was headed. There were no words; it was as simple as that.

"Yeah," I said over my shoulder as I continued toward the meeting hall. Emotions were rippling around inside me. I didn't know why Ren brought me here, but it wasn't going to end well.

——

I stood at the very back of the crowd, surprised by how many people were there. I was raised dirt poor on a backwoods planet. I didn't know we were poor, of course. I thought everyone lived like that. The only time we had anything nice or new was when my uncle would travel.

There was only one way Mama would have been able to afford a place like this. And apparently, she had made many friends in the fifteen years she lived on Naboo, just outside the capital.

"We shouldn't have come," I mumbled to Ren. His helmet moved slightly to look at me, then back to the stage. I inched closer when the room began to quiet, unsure if I thought he would protect me from something or hide me. Apparently, I felt safer with a dark lord than I did with all these strangers.