Skywalker Curse

Kylo, on the Millennium Falcon

I sat in the back, my eyes closed, trying to feel her again.

But the presence was totally gone. She was no longer being tortured. She might still be in pain, but it was not radiating through the Force. I was positive she was alive though, I would feel that. I'm sure of it.

"Hey." I looked up at my father's voice and gave him a little nod.

"You know," he began as he slid into the booth. "We're happy to help you. I just, I'm glad you came to us," he tried. He was uncomfortable. "You're not alone," he added softly.

I stared at him, remembering when Maia had slipped into my room one night months ago. I had felt awkward, too, when I told her I wanted her to come to me the next time she was upset.

I hadn't wanted her to be alone. I didn't want her to struggle by herself—and I knew she did. Though I had not known how to erase her pain, I still believed she'd chosen to come to me, even if she'd expected sex instead of comfort.

Is this what he meant? Was the thought of me handing this alone as upsetting as me dealing with it at all?

"I appreciate it," I finally mumbled.

"Can you... tell if she's..." I sighed.

"She's alive. He doesn't want to kill her; he wants to break her."

He nodded, his gaze falling to the table. We both knew they could very well be the same thing, if she was too resilient.

"Do you remember the... the girl I..." I sighed again, this time in frustration.

"Now hold on," he said, holding up a hand. I looked up at him, surprised. "You aren't about to tell me this Maia is the same person you used to dream about, are you?"

I frowned. "Dream?" I remember discussing the topic with my family, I just don't recall what was said.

"Hell, kid, I don't know. You called them dreams. Your mom called them visions. Your uncle called it a Force connection. Unfortunately, I don't understand any of it, despite thirty plus years of being surrounded by you guys."

Dreams. Visions. What's the difference?

"My memories are unclear. I've always thought she felt so familiar. But now, I remember... talking to her. I just don't remember her talking back."

He shook his head. "I don't recall you talking to her, but I always wondered if she had something to do with your disappearing acts."

"I don't know," I said quietly. I didn't. I didn't know what was real and what wasn't anymore. The fact that I had forgotten it at all was baffling.

He crossed his arms and leaned back.

"Well. We didn't take it seriously until you'd been talking about her for almost a year." He seemed to think for a moment. "I can't remember how old you were, sorry. But you used to have stories about her in the mornings. You talked about a dry planet, a 'house made of dirt,' long sun bleached hair... imagery stuff. As if you saw holos. Your uncle was the one that started showing you pictures of planets until one day, you said one looked kind of like her home. It had been a small, poor village. Luke went to the various places you pointed out, but he never found anyone."

He... looked for her? Likely to find a Force-sensitive, not my friend.

How much pain could we have saved her? And a village... like Tuanul.

———

Maia, interrogation room aboard the Supremacy

I was strapped to a table, unsure how long I'd been there, but I thought it was getting close to twelve hours. The memory of Snoke's lightning was torture in itself, my mind and body frayed.