Chapter Seventy-One

"Do you remember anything?" Nikolai asked with a deep frown etched on his forehead

I touched the back of my neck and gave my head a shake. "No, I passed out a few times while I was in Ignacio's captivity; maybe, he planted something when I was unconscious."

"You didn't feel anything?"

"Nope, I was in so much pain physically and mentally; I don't think I could have remembered such a tiny incision on the back of my neck."

He ran his teeth over his bottom lip and raked a hand through his hair frustratedly. "I'm going to call our surgeon, and he will safely remove it from the back of your neck, baby girl?"

I nodded, I felt a little uneasy, but Nikolai was going to be there. I again touched the back of my neck, trying to feel something, but there was nothing.

"It's gonna be fine, alright?"

"Okay..."

Nikolai left the bedroom, probably to call his surgeon—the one that removes bullets from his or his men's bodies without even asking a question.

I looked around our bedroom—our bedroom. It seemed odd to even call it that. After we had come back from Italy, all of my stuff had been moved to Nikolai's bedroom. Sometimes, I still couldn't believe that I was actually a married woman now.

I touched the nape of my neck once again; I kept touching it since Nikolai had told me that someone had planted something into my body. It could have happened while I was kidnapped.

I heaved a sigh and walked out of the room too. Nikolai was still downstairs; he was talking to someone on the phone. I walked closer to him and heard him talking about me.

"It could be Elijah," he said to someone on the phone. "He may have; that fucker kept her locked up for a reason."

He was talking about dad.

I have no idea what happened between my dad and Nikolai, but whatever it was, it wasn't anything good. Nikolai had told me that dad worked for him; he was his caporegime. He also showed me how much he disliked my dad, and he is quite vocal about his hate for him. I also remember when he asked me to choose between my dad and him. He always addresses him in derogatory terms, like if he were alive, Nikolai would have killed him. I have no idea what happened between the two, but I'd like to know.

"Do you think he placed a tracking chip inside his own daughter?"

Well, it does sound like something dad would do... He was overprotective, and if I had run away from home—which I had thought about multiple times—it would have made it easier for him to know where I was.

Still talking on the phone, Nikolai went out of the main door, leaving me alone in the house. I was excited to resume college next week; it gets really boring and tiring in the house alone.