Chapter 21 - Thanksgiving Special, part 2

I know I said "first thing tomorrow", but it's been a crazy busy week 😅 my birthday was on Wednesday, and I had multiple different people who wanted to do things individually with me, so that's taken up most of my time. Sorry for the wait y'all, but here's part 2!

Maya's POV
"Mason?" I asked, interrupting their conversation. I stood in the doorway of Carina and I's room, staring dumbly at the group.

"Maya," he said, joy in his voice. He took a step closer, unsure of how I was going to react. Truth be told, I didn't know how I was going to react.

I stood frozen and emotionless, debating whether to grab my coat and leave or to welcome my brother into our home. My body immediately chose the latter. Before I knew what I was doing, I was practically running towards him, enveloping him into a hug as soon as I was able to.

"Hi," I said small and tearfully, burrowing into the crook of his neck.

"Hi back," he responded, just as he used to. He held me tight, and I swear I could hear a small sniffle escape him.

"Um, mama?" I heard a little voice behind me ask, referring to Carina. "Who's Mason?" I let go of Mason and kneeled down to Iris.

"Mason is my brother," I said softly to them. I beckoned to the group as I turned back to the guests. "Mason, this is my wife, Carina, and our foster children Jess and Iris," I pointed to each one in order.

"Nice to meet you, kids," he said, shaking Jess's hand softly and waving at Iris, who was now hiding behind Carina shyly. "Your wife and I have actually already met, but it's lovely to see you again, Carina."

I stood up and stood next to her, taking her hand in mine. "You saw my brother and didn't tell me?" I asked her.

"I went to talk to your mother about thanksgiving last week and he was there," she explained. "I wanted to surprise you, so I invited him almost on the spot."

I nodded in understanding, grateful to have such a thoughtful wife.

"Well, let's get this all set up," my mom said. "Mason brought up the turkey, but we have a few side dishes in the car. Anybody want to help?" she asked, turning towards the kids.

Iris and Jess both jumped at the opportunity, loving to spend alone time with her whenever the chance presented itself. The three of them headed down to the car while Carina excused herself to finish setting up, leaving me alone with my brother.

"You look good, Mason," I commented, leading him over to the couch. "Did you finally learn how to use a razor?" I asked playfully.

"Oh, how nice of you to be concerned with my shaving habits," he laughed. "After I painted that mural with the art supplies you gave me, I headed to mom and dad's. Dad turned me away, so I lived in homeless shelters for a few years."

"I made a few friends, who helped me get a job, and I eventually was able to move into a dingy little apartment," he continued. "When mom left dad, she tracked me down, and we moved into a nicer place together."

"And SHE taught you how to use a razor?"

"Give it a rest, blondie," he joked, playfully smacking me on the arm. "My girlfriend, Lucy, actually taught me how to shave when we met in the first homeless shelter I was in. She showed me how to clean myself up for interviews."

Affection for this woman I had never met swelled my heart, glad someone was looking out for my brother when I couldn't. "That's amazing," I smiled.

"Speaking of amazing, you're keeping two kids AND yourself alive? That's a miracle," he grinned.