Chapter 15

Jess's POV
"Jess!" I heard from the doorway. I opened my eyes and saw Iris's little body bouncing up and down at the sight of me.

"Hi, bubba," I said, finally smiling after hours of medical probing and prodding. I extended my arms for them, watching as they looked back at Dr. Shepherd for permission and then bounding over to me.

I picked them up under their arms, hauling them onto the bed. They scooched close to me and I enveloped them in a hug.

"You scared me," they whispered softly.

"I know, bubs, I'm sorry," I replied, running my fingers through their short curls. "I'm okay now."

Their little body started to shake with sobs, small cries escaping their mouth. "Hey, no, we're not going to cry now, bubba," I said firmly, pulling them off of me to look at their face.

"I am okay now, so no crying, okay?" Their eyes were glossed over, tears threatening to spill from them. I sighed softly. "It's okay, come here."

I pulled them close again, stroking their back soothingly as they started crying again. I looked up and saw Maya and Carina in the doorway.

They both gave me a small smile and entered the room, pulling a chair by my bed. Maya sat down in it and, to both mine and Carina's surprise, pulled Carina to sit on her lap.

"Bambina," Carina laughed as she was sat down.

"I want to hold youuuu," Maya whined as she tried to get up. Carina let out an exaggerated sigh but stayed where she was, causing Maya to smile and squeal with glee.

By now, Iris had stopped crying and was laughing slightly at the interaction between our moms as well.

The two looked at each other before turning towards us. "Jess," Maya started, making eye contact with me.

"What? What's wrong?" I asked quickly. What if everything that had happened today made them change their minds about us living with them? I felt my breathing start to quicken, panic suddenly taking over.

Carina reached out and put her hand on top of mine. "It's okay, bambina, nothing's wrong," she said calmly.

"We wanted to tell you something."

"What?" I asked, my breathing returning to normal. Nobody said anything for a minute, all three of them exchanging glances.

"Oh for the love of- Will someone please just tell me?" I prodded, giggling the whole time along with the others.

Maya and Carina looked at each other again. Maya snaked her hand around Carina's side, resting it on top of her lower stomach. Carina brought her other hand up and laid it on top of Maya's, intertwining their fingers.

"We're going to have a baby," Carina said finally, her voice breaking slightly at the end, her eyes filling with tears of joy.

My mouth dropped open, not sure I heard them correctly. "Really?" I asked excitedly. "How?"

"Well, we have a friend that offered to help us out and-"

"Hold on, let me stop you right there. If you're about to tell us that you slept with a guy to have a baby for you two, please don't with Iris in the room," I said. "I really don't want to talk about S-E-X with a nine year old present."

"What's that?" Iris asked, looking at us all questioningly.

"Oh boy," Maya commented, chuckling. "That's a- another conversation for a different time, kiddo."

"That's not what happened at all, Jess," Carina said. "We have a friend who offered his sperm to us and we used it for an artificial insemination treatment. Simple as that."