Chapter 5

Maya's POV
I can't believe we were actually doing this. I hadn't told the kids yet, but I think they were starting to get suspicious of me.

I had spent all day running out of the room on the phone. I told Andy about the kids since she was living with us.

She was planning on moving out soon anyway, so she agreed to crash on the couch until she found a place. All day, her and I were working on buying everything for Iris and Jess's room.

Carina and I ultimately made the decision to share the news with the rest of the station. We would need all the help we could get right now with us both at the hospital.

While we were here, Carina working and me watching the kids, the rest of the team was back at our apartment building the perfect room.

Complete with bunk beds, a tent hanging from the ceiling, personalized toy boxes, and a bean bag chair and bookshelf in the corner for Jess's reading nook (she had recently told me that was her favorite pastime), I was sure they would love it.

We were trying to make the room a balance of sorts. We didn't want to spoil the kids, especially since we might not be able to keep them permanently, but we also wanted to give them the world, because that's what they deserved.

At this point, I didn't even care if it seemed like we were spoiling them. I really want to give these kids everything I can and more.

At last, Andy sent me a picture of the final room and I knew it was perfect.

"What do you think?" I asked her while she was charting, showing her the picture.

"Oh my goodness, it's beautiful bella," she exclaimed. "Jess and Iris are going to love it!"

"Iris and I are going to love what?" I heard a small voice ask behind me.

Crap

"Nothing, sweetheart," I said, turning around with a smile.

Jess's POV
Maya's up to something, I know it. She tried to play it off but I know when I'm being lied to.

I playfully rolled my eyes. "I just came out because Iris said they wanted some water," I said to her.

"Well then let's go get them some water, silly," she replied. She reached out and picked me up, twirling me around.

"Mayaaaaa," I whined, laughing the whole time.

"Oh the bambina, Maya no," Carina fake panicked. "Maya put the child down!"

"I think I'll just take her with me," Maya said, holding me close. "I'm going to steal her before anyone else can."

"Noooo, Carina help," I giggled as Maya tickled me.

"I'm coming bella," Carina rushed over and snatched me out of Maya's arms. "Ah, I've saved you!"

"But oh no, it looks like the tickle monster's followed us," she said as she and Maya both tickled me.

"Stop having fun without me," I heard Iris yell from their room.

"I'm sorry, piccolo, we'll hold off the fun until you're better, ," Carina said, putting me down.

"But be careful, bambine, we're going to be saving the tickles up and we're really going to get you when you're better," she grinned.

All four of us laughed. This is nice, I thought to myself. I like laughing like this.

———

Maya and I walked back into Iris's room with the cup of water for them. "Oh IIIIIIris," I sang as we entered.

"We have a surprise for youuuu."