Chapter 112

Pain.

That was all I felt when the knife buried into my stomach. When Thorne had stabbed me.

The next few moments became jumbled in my mind. Scarlet and Cinder were fighting. Someone screamed. I heard a gunshot. I think. I didn't know. I couldn't think straight. The throne room seemed to be spinning.

Now, I was shivering on the throne room floor, clutching my middle with shaking hands. My vision was growing bleary.

Then Thorne was there, grasping at my shoulders. He was crying. I nearly laughed. Thorne didn't cry. Or maybe that was Cinder. I couldn't remember anymore.

He took my face in his hands. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, Y/n."

"S'fine," I slurred. "Just a scratch."

"We're going to get you out of here," he said, wet eyes hardening. "We'll find a medic and—"

I cut him off by raising my hand to place it on his cheek. Or tried to, anyway. I missed and brushed his ear, but Thorne grabbed my wrist and held my palm to his face for me.

"I'm sorry I shot you," I mumbled. A fog settled over my mind.

"Don't be sorry." He closed his eyes and gripped my wrist tighter. "Don't be sorry for anything ever again."

My lashes fluttered. My hand dropped. "I think I need to...rest...just for a little bit..."

Thorne's eyes snapped open in alarm. "No, Y/n—"

"Please." Something wet rolled down my cheek. "I'm so tired, Thorne."

He grit his teeth.

"Let me go," I whispered.

Thorne's face crumpled. A sob wracked his body as he set his forehead against mine. And then he said...

He said...

"I love you."

My head lolled against his arm. I smiled up at him through my tears. "I...I lo—"

I winced as another bolt of pain shot through my side. My head was throbbing. Black spots crowded the corners of my vision until they were overwhelming.

Someone was saying my name, over and over again, but I was already too far gone.

My eyelids slipped shut.