Chapter 32

Isaac.

I woke with his name on my lips.

Last night I dreamt of life before—before the plague, the military, becoming a fugitive, everything. It had been bliss, a time where I could still kiss my mother good morning and ruffle Isaac's hair before he left for school.

It was a time where I was still just a girl. Not a commander. Not a fugitive. Not a sister looking for her brother.

Dreams could be cruel, taunting things.

I inhaled and stretched my arms above my head, then lifted myself into a sitting position.

Shifting from behind made me glance over my shoulder, but it was only Thorne adjusting his position on the bed. His eyes stayed shut.

There wasn't another place for me to sleep last night, and with our cover story being what it was I couldn't ask for a second cot without looking suspicious. As a result I was forced to spend the night hugging the edge of the bed so I wouldn't accidentally roll over to the other side and end up in a position I might have regretted.

I've wanted to kiss you for a while now.

My legs protested as I stood, but my empty stomach was more attention-demanding at the moment. I grabbed my holster, slung it around my hips, then pushed back the tent flap.

Even in the early morning, the camp was a beehive of activity. Two figures were at the pit, topping the remnants of last night's fire with fresh kindling and wood. A few people were slipping in and out of a nearby tent carrying wooden dishes and jugs of water. When the hunter from yesterday arrived with a freshly-made kill, several dropped what they were doing to assist him bringing it into camp.

"Good morning." Jina's voice carried even from across the way. She waved and smiled brightly.

I crossed the camp to where she was helping another woman prep a variety of tropical fruits.

"Good morning," I echoed.

"How are you feeling?"

I wiped my palms on my pants. "A bit sore, but fine."

"And your husband?"

"He's not up yet." I folded my arms. "I'm assuming he'll be sleeping for a while. He had a few glasses of the harder stuff last night."

The other woman laughed as she started chopping a mango. "That must have been Jamal's influence. I'm afraid he can be quite persuasive at times."

"Hm." I scanned the camp again. "Has Cress come out of her tent yet?"

"No, not yet," the woman said. She handed me a bowl full of vibrant slices of fruit and a canteen. "You can give her this if she's awake."

I took the food with a nod of thanks and set off for Cress' tent.

The first thing I noticed were her feet. They were elevated on a spare pillow and were wrapped in bandages so thick they could pass as boots. The room was accompanied by a strong herbal scent.

I set the food down on a nearby stand and knelt beside her, putting the back of my hand to her forehead. She was still burning up.

I drenched a strip of cloth in the bucket of water next to the bed and laid it on her forehead, then took the cup of water.

"Cress," I whispered, shaking her gently.

She groaned lightly.

"You need to drink. It will help bring your body temperature down." I lifted the cup to her lips.