Chapter 101

Isaac and I marched beside Cinder and Alpha Strom, at the front of the small army. The subway tunnels were wide enough to walk in rows of five and Strom had made sure everyone knew this was to be their formation—to deviate in such confined quarters could lead to panic and confusion. We tried to be quiet, but it was impossible. We progressed like a roll of thunder. Thousands of feet pounding against the rocky terrain inside the lava tubes.

The mutant soldiers stayed near the front, the first line of defense, while the people from the outer sectors followed behind.

It had become a numbers game, and our numbers were growing. Every sector we passed through had new civilians joining the cause, many who had been preparing from the moment Cinder's first message had broadcast.

I kept running the calculations over and over in my head, but there were still too many variables to factor. We needed enough civilians to overthrow the queen and her thaumaturges, and enough un-manipulated fighters left to take on the guards and any wolf soldiers Levana brought to her defense. We were relying on Jacin and Winter to spread the word, and fast. If we failed, it would become a massacre, and not in our favor. But if we succeeded ...

The tunnels were pitch-black but for the lanterns scavenged by the people in the outer sectors and a handful of flashlights. Four times we came across stalled trains and shuttles that filled up the confined space of the tunnel. These had at first seemed like insurmountable obstacles, but the soldiers went forward with zeal, prying off the panels, tearing up the interior seats, trampling their way through the other side. They made for an efficient, destructive machine, and our makeshift army was given passage through.

Although the maglev system had been shut down, power was still being sent out on the grid and the platforms we passed were well lit with a holograph of the mandatory-viewing video feed of the coronation. Unable to record the ceremony itself, as the queen would not be donning her veil, a broadcaster was relaying a moment-by-moment breakdown of the event.

As we entered into AR-4, one of the sectors adjacent to Artemisia Central, we heard Kai's voice. He was reciting the vows to become the king consort of Luna.

The army divided into four regiments. Each would enter the capital through a different tunnel. As the alphas led their packs and the civilians in opposite directions, I caught sight of Strom watching Cinder.

"We should keep moving," he said. "My men are hungry and restless, and you've put us in a confined space with a lot of sweet-smelling flesh."

Cinder raised an eyebrow. "If they need a snack, tell them to chew on each other for a while. I just want to make sure Jacin has enough time to reach as many sectors as possible."

I smirked. Oh, how I missed her snappy attitude.

"It's time to move," Strom repeated. "Our people are almost in position. The queen and her entourage are all in one place. We may be sitting down here for weeks waiting for more civilians that never show up."

I believed they would come. They had to. But I also knew the Alpha was right. Cinder had to have, as well.

The coronation was almost over.

At Cinder's signal, we started creeping through the tunnels again. Hands tightened on their weapons. Paces slowed with mounting anxiety. We hadn't gone much farther when Cinder's flashlight caught on iron bars in the distance. Strom held up a hand, signaling for everyone to stop.

"The barricade." Cinder sent her flashlight beam into the wall around the iron grate. It would take weeks to dig around it.

"There's no way through," said Strom. He was snarling as he looked at Cinder, as if this were her fault. "If this is a trap, it's a good one. They could kill us all in a heartbeat while we're stuffed like sausages in these tunnels."