Chapter 107

Red sprayed as another bullet tore through a thaumaturge's head. I coughed, wheezing, still recovering from the blow someone had thrown against my ribs.

I could only hope that Cinder had gotten to safety. It seemed Iko disappeared, too, so they must have been together.

I stayed low and scanned the chaos for any sign of Isaac or Strom or...

My eyes widened.

Scarlet. There, across the way, with one of the queen's soldiers pinning her to the floor.

I took off, sprinting so fast my toes hardly touched the floor. I flew across the courtyard, gun still drawn.

When Scarlet spotted me, she threw her hand out. "Y/n, wait!"

The soldier whirled around and grabbed me so abruptly I hardly had time to think. Within seconds I was thrown beside Scarlet.

I pushed her behind me. "Scarlet, stay—"

I cut off when the soldier turned toward me. Lowered my gun. Cocked my head in confusion. "Wolf?"

"He wasn't hurting me," Scarlet explained hastily. "He's not under the queen's control anymore."

I blinked. "Oh."

"Wolf!" Scarlet shouted suddenly, pointing over his shoulder.

I glanced past him to see Isaac bolting toward us. Wolf began snarling, but I threw my hand out in front of him. "He's fine, he's fine!"

"Who is he?" Wolf growled.

"He's on our side," I said with conviction. "He's my brother."

Wolf's gaze snapped to mine. "Him? This is the boy from the opera house?"

I didn't get a chance to answer because it was at that moment Isaac reached us. He slowed, not even winded by his sprint.

"How are things looking?" I asked.

He shook his head. "Bad."

"Are we losing?" Scarlet asked.

I tried to count our numbers, but it was impossible to tell how many of the wolf soldiers were ours and how many Levana's. I did know the civilians were falling faster and faster as the scales tipped in the thaumaturges' favor.

"Not for long," said Wolf.

Both he and Isaac were on alert, scanning for immediate threats. Then Isaac's face raised to the air.

His nose twitched. "Princess Winter is close, and ... she's brought reinforcements."