Chapter 38

We followed the guard down the steps. Thorne and Cress were behind me. Doctor Erland brought up the rear, already wheezing with the exertion of carrying his prized lab equipment down the stairs.

The guard shoved open the hotel door and we all scrambled down onto the rough, sand-covered road. Two steps later, he froze, thrusting his arms out to catch me, Cress, Thorne, and the doctor as we crashed into him.

I scanned the road. Dozens of men and women dressed in the official uniform of the Commonwealth military had us surrounded, with guns raised. They filled up the roads and the spaces between buildings, peered down from rooftops and around rust-covered podships.

"Shit," I muttered.

"What is it?" Thorne asked.

"Military. A lot of them."

Cress' voice cut through the silence. "What is she doing here?"
"What? Who?"

"That—that girl from the last town."

Thorne tilted his head. "That's Darla. The escort-droid? Why are you and Cinder so confused about this?"

Darla was watching us without emotion, sandwiched between two soldiers with her hands hanging limp at her sides. "I am sorry, Master," she said, her voice carrying through the silence. "I would have warned you, but that would be illegal, and my programming prevents me from breaking human laws."

"Yeah, that's going to be the first thing we fix," said Thorne.

A voice boomed and it took me a moment to spot the man holding a portscreen and amplifier to his mouth. "You are all under arrest for the harboring and assisting of wanted fugitives. Get down on your stomachs and put your hands on your heads and no one will be hurt."

The Lunar guard didn't act, just stared ahead.

"We have you surrounded," the man continued, when no one moved. "There is nowhere to run. Get down, now."

The guard moved first, lowering himself to his knees and setting down the bag of medical supplies and the strange machine, before settling into the dirt.

Cress followed suit, sinking down to the hard ground. Thorne dropped down beside her.

"Stars above," I heard the doctor moan, grumbling as he joined them on the ground. "I'm too old for this."

I took a knee, but before I could lay on the ground completely the man spoke again.

"Commander L/n."

I froze, staring at the ground, before lifting my head.

"We have been instructed to offer you a pardon from your position as a fugitive if you assist us in the capture of Linh Cinder."

My fingers twitched. I held the man's gaze for several heartbeats. Inhaled. Clenched my jaw.

Then I prostrated myself against the dusty floor and looped my hands on the back of my head.

There was silence. When the man continued, his voice had a slight tremor. "Linh Cinder. We have you surrounded. Come to the front exit immediately with your hands on top of your head and no one will be hurt."

There were numerous moments of emptiness. The town was quiet, still. Not even a camel snorted, not even a bird cawed. It was as if nature itself knew the severity of the situation we were in.

Then came the sound of door hinges squeaking.

"Put your hands on your head and walk away from the building," the man commanded. No doubt the order was meant for Cinder, but was there anyone else with her? Was Wolf there, too? "Do not make any sudden movements. We are authorized to kill if necessary."