sixteen | damned if you do

One month later

One month later

While the sound of an alarm ringing through the halls of Arkham Asylum was heard, a woman with her hair pulled up in a high ponytail was quickly walking through the halls of the asylum with two men close behind her and her head held high.

And while she and the two men walked through the halls of the asylum, the rest of the men that had joined the woman in breaking into the asylum took the select group of inmates that had once sat one particular table from where they laid on the floor and dragged them out of the asylum.

And while those inmates were being dragged out of the asylum in their unconscious states, the woman was determined to get one more inmate from the asylum– one that hadn't been seen since the war had taken place in the streets of Gotham a month prior, shortly before the deaths of Fish Mooney, Salvatore Maroni and the retirement of Carmine Falcone.

It wasn't until the woman and two men had stopped in front of one particular cell and knob to the door had been shot off by the gun of one of the men that the door was opened to reveal a certain dark-haired Original vampire that was lying face-first on the floor of her cell with the dagger still remaining deep inside of her back.

It was then that the woman slowly made her way into the cell and stopped just beside the unmoving Original vampire before she slowly crouched down beside the vampire and slightly turned her head to the side.

After seeing the vampire's face, the woman only straightened her back before she took a couple of steps away from the unmoving vampire and told the two men, "Grab her."

With a mere nod of their heads, the two men picked up Annabelle Mikaelson by her arms and proceeded to drag her out of the room, while the woman that had been leading them to Annabelle's cell walked closely behind them.

* * *

As she handed the badge back over towards James Gordon, Sarah Essen said to him, "Welcome back, Jim. I don't know how you pulled this off, but I'm glad you did."

In turn, Leslie Thompkins said to her, "He's a resourceful man." As she looked between James and Sarah, she said to them, "Congratulations, to both of you."

With a smile on her face, Sarah said, "Thank you." Then she looked over at James and told him, "And it is a new day, Jim. We're going to do great things."

As he went to grab onto her hand, James said to her, "Yes, we are."

It was then that a man in a suit and tie walked up to Sarah and whispered something into her ear, which got her to turn her back on James and Leslie and walk away with the man.

After taking a couple of steps forward and turning around to face Leslie, James said to her, "It is a new day. Things are gonna be alright. I promise."

With a nod of her head, Leslie replied, "I hope it was worth it."