four | spirit of the goat

With a knock on the door to the apartment, Oswald yelled, "Mother!"

It wasn't long after that that he heard a voice say to him, "I wait for so long, and now he scratches at the door, the filthy tomcat."

After staring at his mother for a couple of seconds, he said to her, "Hi, Mom. I'm alive." As he limped his way into the apartment, he said to her, "I don't know why you always think I'm running off with some painted lady. I don't even date."

In turn, his mother said to him, "Ha! Why you don't call your mother in all this time? I tell you why. You got tangled in some hussy's demon-purse!"

With a raise of his head, Oswald told her, "Mother, there was no hussy. Only betrayal and savagery and..." After a couple seconds of silence, he said to her, "All I wanted was a little respect. And they hurt me. So cruelly."

With a hand pressed against her own chest, his mother said to him, "Oh, there was no other woman."

After letting out a laugh, Oswald replied, "I have been to hell and back. They tried to kill me."

From where she was knelt on the floor, his mother asked him, "The bullies again?" With a shake of her head, she said to him, "My poor, poor darling. They only do these things because they resent you. Envy and spite. That's all it is."

After grabbing onto his mother's hand, Oswald said to her, "You watch, Mom. I'm gonna be somebody in this town."

With a nod of her head, his mother replied, "I always knew this."

In response to the conversation that she had just heard from outside of the apartment building, Annabelle only scoffed to herself with a mere roll of her eyes before she answered an incoming phone call from none other than Frankie Carbone– the very same man that she had struck a deal with to put their personal issues with one another to the side and focus on the potential problem that was none other than Oswald Cobblepot.

* * *

As she circled around the young man that was strapped to a pillar in the room, Annabelle said, "Oh, well isn't this a pity?" After crouching down in front of the young man, she said to him, "Well, for you, anyway. After all, you're only a human and you can bleed quite easily with nothing keeping you from dying from a loss of blood."

In response to her words, the man had only flinched back from her, which got her to let out a chuckle as she cut open another part of his skin, while her veins had simply come onto display from seeing even more of his blood drop down onto the floor.

After pressing a single finger into the wound and bringing that very same finger up to her mouth and licking his blood off of it, she said to him, "So, tell me something, my little human. What did my half-brother offer you, in return for bringing me back to him? Hmm? Did he promise to give you however many riches you wanted in life? Did he say that he would turn you into a vampire or at least compel some woman into going on some date with you or an old lover of yours to go running right back into your arms?" When he didn't respond to her words, she started to slowly straighten her back as she brought her knife towards the side of his neck and asked him, "Or did he– instead– offer you a, uh, get out of jail free card and do whatever he could to prevent you from getting arrested for however long you might live? Hmm?"