다섯: firefly tail

"Wh-what would you-" Hoseok stammered in bewilderment, fists enclosing as he tried to rein in the jitters

"Wh-what would you-" Hoseok stammered in bewilderment, fists enclosing as he tried to rein in the jitters. "I didn't exactly get you there." He breathed out, eyes obliquely set on the Chairman.

"Lease out that diner to me and I'll immediately waive off the entire amount that you're supposed to pay. How's that sound?" Dongkyung quirked his brow, lips stretching in a lopsided manner.

"B-but the business isn't even mine to begin with. Moreover, how can I possibly go behind my sister's back and appropriate the only means that ensures our survival? That'd be utterly ungrateful of me. I can't do that to her, it's her years' worth of blood, sweat and tears that we're putting on line here." The toned-down scowl on Hoseok's face had made his repulsion towards the offer contrarily overt.

"Who said that you can't earn the property back? From the day that estate comes under my name, starts a countdown for you as well. I'm gonna give you... fifty days- what say? And I can't be fairer than this because again, I'm a businessman first." Dongkyung shrugged his shoulders.

"Fifty days to repay what percentage of the loan?" Hoseok, however, decided to dwell on an entirely different subject.

Dongkyung scoffed, "One point seven million, of course. Why bother asking such a no-brainer?"

"Sir, there's no way I'd become filthy rich overnight because let's be honest, my sixth sense has remained more or less defunct for over a decade now for me to win a stupidly exaggerated lottery anymore. Nor do I hail from a family of impoverished Chaebols that I'd stumble upon a buried treasure left for me by my ancestors. I understand that your intentions are purely philanthropic here, but I don't see why you think that me accruing that much money in a matter of two months- when it's been years that I've pulled in a single dime- is accomplishable? The odds are against me in every scenario." Hoseok stated matter-of-factly, sincerity manifest in his articulation.

"Just to plant the right seed in your head- fifty days, not two months. And it's completely upto you whether to accept the deal or decline it. I'm no one to force you into doing it, a businessman never does-"

"Never does that, I'm aware. It's true that the ultimate decision is mine to make, but a decision is only made when there are more than one option to choose from. And my case is devoid of one. I wouldn't have asked you for such an impractical favor if I had money in my pocket right now. Damn it- excuse my language- I wouldn't be standing here in the first place if I wasn't such a good-for-nothing brother. If only I knew what was to happen in future, I wouldn't have-" Hoseok could not revel further in his self-loathing once Dongkyung intervened.

"Mister Jung, as I had already briefed earlier, I'm short on time. I'd rather you not traveled down that lane further, for that'll only be beneficial for the both of us." He started, tone as unwavering as ever. "As for the current lack of money, let me impart a few words of wisdom. The unpredictability of future is what distinguishes it from our past and present. And tell you what, it can be either good or bad. For example, the childhood me had never banked on the idea that he would associate with gold in every aspect of his life. But look at me now, even my surname means gold. Isn't that amusing?"