셋: familiar stranger

"Time to part ways, I guess

"Time to part ways, I guess." Mirae made a clever mention of the fact, a corroborating smile blooming on her lips. "That, over there, is my lane," her index finger pointing in a specific direction.

"Sure, sure. Not gonna lie, I had lost track of time talking to you. It was an interesting chat, makes me wanna look forward to more of such." Hoseok returned, though probably went a little overboard doing so as his face also exhibited the realisation. "And I'm sincerely hoping right now that you don't view me as a busybody because of the statement I just spoke."

Mirae released a muffled chuckle, possibly finding his clarification amusing. "Well, if that brings busy and your name in the same sentence, then why not?"

The female could not refrain from being amazed at herself for having hurled an exceptionally insensitive jibe at someone who had been shoved into that abject condition because of her own deeds. Parallel to this epiphany also surfaced a flustered expression that ended up eclipsing her features, embarrassment surging within her. Mirae could have efficiently fended off that startling ambush orchestrated by her conscience had it not been for Hoseok's gradual yet unsettling facial reaction that was now fully laid-out for her to register.

"Was that a deliberate self-sabotage or a slip of tongue? Because you look a thousand times more humiliated than I do at the moment." Hoseok quizzed, his grimace thawing into an impish grin.

"That was to bring us to an equal footing, as simple as that." Mirae spluttered, rolling her eyes to chuck the awkwardness out of her head and rightaway proceeding to glide down the steep slope that marked the beginning of her locality.

Hoseok's eyebrows did fly up when the female had suddenly announced her intentions of departing by those blatant actions of hers, but that was about it. He let a benign smile maneuver his lips, intently watching Mirae as she hastily strode towards her home. He did not stray his gaze away from her rapidly diminishing figure until it was absorbed by the darkness that had instantly shrouded her, casting a cursory glance at the bricked-pavement beneath his feet as he exhaled sharply.

Although it was only the third time that Hoseok had struck a proper conversation with Mirae, he could gauge, as a matter of fact, that she was someone whom he would not regret trusting if he chose to go ahead with that. That was an effortless deduction, for nor had he encountered that emotion during the first two rendezvous as well. For some reason, he did not even require a multitude of conjunctions while having an exchange with her— which was quite unlike of him provided how he was never counted amongst natural speakers.

Every thought, every word had rolled off his tongue in a fluidity that made him wonder if his head and mouth had surprisingly decided to synchronize with one another. However, assigning the entire credit to a familiar stranger would plainly imply the underestimation of his own capabilities. What if he had always had it in himself, and that, he just did not know how to harness it?