둘: a love-hate bend

"Well, well, well," the woman droned, advancing towards Hoseok simultaneously

"Well, well, well," the woman droned, advancing towards Hoseok simultaneously. "What a pleasant surprise! Out of all the places in the world— I gotta say, a police station never really struck me as a place to meet your old acquaintances."

"Uhm, sure." There was a whiff of uncertainty in Hoseok's response, which the female was— quite unanticipatedly— extremely deft in ascertaining.

"And I thought us running into each other here was the craziest thing to happen today." She caviled, her face twisting in an ephemeral disgruntlement. "Did you seriously banish me from your memory this soon?"

Hoseok still could not get the essence of what she had been insinuating, and yet decided to proceed with a hospitable smile nonetheless. That was obviously nowhere along the lines of his most perspicacious judgements, but outright disregarding the relevance of that gesture at the same time would be underplaying it. For as was gradually becoming ostensible, it did help in attenuating the disrelish that had been seemingly brewing within the female. 

"Spare me that friendly smile, it's of no use if you no longer remember me." However, as soon as she expressed her opinion out in the open, Hoseok wondered if maybe his heart-shaped simper had finally lost its riveting aura.

Because back in the day, that particular attribute had successfully projected him as irresistible as the Super Junior boys. Hoseok had always been humble when it came to accepting such overwhelming flattery, but little was he aware that one day, when all that charisma of his would dissipate into thin air unannounced, the already-perpetual void in his heart would tend to thrive on that plaintive loss— as if his life was not tragic enough.

"Yeah, that's enough overthinking for today." He murmured to himself, garnering attention from the other three figures in vicinity.

"Mind telling me why are you so keen on ruining your future? What's a teenager got to do in a police station? What did you do this time? And don't you dare try to outsmart me, be honest." The woman addressed Hoseok's culprit, strangely akin to rendering the role of a guardian. 

"The fact that it's becoming harder for you to prefer trusting me over someone else doesn't actually upset me anymore, Mirae." Kangmin exhaled, rolling his eyes in exasperation. 

The name ricocheted against Hoseok's eardrums like a familiar but distant melody, like one on the tip of his tongue. The connotation attached to it, however, was something that he could not quite make head or tail of at one go. Its first occurrence traced back to when for the first time, Hoseok had felt indebted to someone for swelling his heart with sheer delight in many long years. Although corresponding it was also this prodding wistfulness that had always cajoled him into contemplating his precarious firmness.

Had his will-power not been so fickle, would things have turned out differently for him?

Due to the foundation of his choices being laid on a decrepit plane, Hoseok's relationship trajectory with the concept of dance altogether had been progressively taking up a love-hate bend. Everything worthwhile and adverse to his existence was apparently because of dance.