IV

♪♫ Kuch bhi nahi hai ye jahan

Tu hai to hai isme zindagi

Abb mujhko jaana hai kahan

Ke tu hi safar hai aakhri

Ke tere bina jeena mumkin nahi

Na dena kabhi mujhko tu faasle

Main tujhko kitna chahta hu

Ye tu kabhi soch na sake...♪♫

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Let's continue the meeting after a fifteen minutes break." Ahana's voice cut through the conference room.

He glanced at Inaya who was already looking at him. He was about to stand up from his seat when Ahana again said from the head seat, where she was seated, "Mr. Mallik, Ms. Khan, I would like to have a word." Both of them again sat on their places on either side of Ahana. When she noticed that the assistants made no move to get out of the room, she added sharply, "Privately."

After all their assistants hurriedly got out of the room, Ahana pinned both of them with a look.

"Is there anything that you haven't told me, yet?" the question was directed to Inaya.

The way Inaya was fidgeting, he assumed that she hadn't told her friend about what happened at the dinner a week before.

"Um... Why would you say that?" Inaya played dumb.

Ahana only shook her head at Inaya. "I'm not blind, sugar." He smiled at the nickname she had for Inaya. "You both have been looking at each other for the whole meeting. What's going on?"

Ahana is pretty straightforward, he would give her that.

He decided to save Inaya and piped in after clearing his throat. "Ms. Oberoi, Inaya and I are dating."

Ahana first looked at him like he was bat-shit crazy but when she realized that he wasn't playing around she looked at Inaya in disbelief.

"When did that happen?"

"Um... Zain's family is friends with mine. He was there at the dinner with his family. They tried to set us up...." And that's how Inaya told Ahana everything that happened at her house along with the details and their idea.

When Inaya was explaining the situation to Ahana, that's when he realized how absurd it sounded, but he couldn't care less because, in the end, he is getting a chance to know Inaya better.

Inaya didn't seem to recognize him when they first met, maybe because she was only 5 when he and his family moved to the US, but he was 8 at the time, so he didn't forget anything in the past 2 decades. He had always liked Inaya as a kid so when their families tried to set them up he was over the moon but she didn't want to do anything with him so he blurted out the first thing that came to his mind which would make her give him a chance. That's all that he wanted from her, a chance—to know her, to be friends with her, and if she allowed then to love and cherish her.

Ahana's voice pulled him back from his thoughts, "I don't know what to say." She looked at her wristwatch and sighed, "Everyone will be here any minute now, just try to focus on the meeting for now, please."

Inaya grinned at her friend then looked at him and gave him a sweet smile which he returned.

◅▫▻

He saw Ahana sitting behind her large desk, typing furiously on the laptop as he walked into her cabin. He cleared his throat to divert her attention.

"I am aware of your presence, Mr. Mallik. You can take a seat." She said without taking her eyes off the laptop.

"I thought we discussed everything in the meeting. Is there anything that we missed?" She finally looked at him, raising an eyebrow in question.

"I'm not here in regards of business Ms. Oberoi. And I'd like it if you call me Zain, considering that I'm dating your friend now."

"Alright Mr. Zain, how may I help you?"

"I want to take Inaya on a date. I wanted to know the things that she might like."

"Don't you think you should ask that question to Inaya?" he could tell that she was amused.

"I want it to be a surprise?" it came out as a question. He realized that coming to Ahana might not be the best decision that he had made so far. But again, he hasn't been making good decisions lately.

"Why should I help you?"

He sighed. "Ms. Oberoi, if the date goes nice then your friend-"

"Best friend." She interrupted.

"Yes, best friend would be happy. So, I'm requesting you to help me."

"Say please." She looked amused.

He wanted to bash her head with a vase for how difficult she was being but controlled himself because his mother taught him better. "Help me, please."

She looked at him for what felt like an eternity, contemplating if she should help him or not. She sighed. "Alright! What do you have in mind for the date?"

He thought for a second before replying. "Movie or maybe dinner where we can talk without disturbance."

She gave an appreciative nod. "Don't go for a movie date as of now, if you want to talk and get to know her. Inaya is more on the romantic side. So, picking her up with some flowers or chocolates would be the best option to start with. She loves Italian food and doesn't like overly fancy places, so choose a restaurant accordingly."

"So flowers, chocolates, Italian food, and no overly fancy place."

"Precisely."

"Anything else that I should keep in mind?"

"There are, but I'm not willing to tell you anything more."

"Why not?"

"If I'll help you with everything then how will you make an effort?" she smirked.

"Fair enough. Thanks for the help Ms. Oberoi. I'll take your leave now."

Before he could make a move her voice stopped him. "Wait, I need to talk to you too."

He nodded, "Tell me."

"I'm Inaya's best friend as you know. She is more like a sister than a friend to me and I'm very protective of her." He nodded in understanding. "So if by any chance you treat her wrong or manage to break her heart, then I'll break your face."

"Are you threatening me, Ms. Oberoi?"

"No, just giving you insight into what to expect if you hurt her."

"Don't worry, I don't intend to hurt your friend in any way."

"That would be best for all of us."

He gave her a nod. "Now, I would take your leave."

"Sure."

He was about to open her cabin door when she said, "Mr. Zain," he looked at her over his shoulder. "You can call me Ahana, considering that my friend is dating you now."

She wasn't smiling but her eyes held amusement which was enough for now.