Birds of a Feather

Damian wandered the halls of the fortress. He was without a tutor or an armed guard for the first time in a while. It was refreshing to finally be left alone for a moment. He understood they were only preparing him for the future in store- the title he was meant to hold- but it was exhausting some days. The courses and training, all endless, all brutal, all necessary if he was to one day replace his grandfather.

One day Damian would be permitted to leave and explore the world but not yet. He was far too young to be let off the island like that. He hoped to find his father, but perhaps that was a little unrealistic at the moment. His mother had promised to tell him who his father was in due time when she deemed him ready. Apparently she did not think seven years old was ready.

Maybe she was right. She would only pick the best in potential suitors but he hadn't stuck around like he should and that it made it difficult for her to talk about him or maybe she was afraid Damian would rush to him first chance he got if he knew who he was.

He knew he couldn't go to the beach unaccompanied yet and didn't want to ruin this chance of isolation. A moment for clear unimpeded thoughts to flow freely as he's been told repeatedly they should.

He can hear the waves crashing into the sand several meters away, and can almost smell the salt water through the open windows. He loved the ocean, how vast, how powerful. It has the power to wipe them out and while it does threaten often it hasn't yet. It holds a variety of life, some of it completely unexplored. It was often calm and tempting, Damian loved the dichotomy of the sea: soft and rough, loud and quiet, calm and dangerous.

Damian's thoughts were interrupted by a small chirping. He glanced around looking for the source before finding it in the corner of the window. A small bird, clearly injured and exhausted resting on the window pane. He stands frozen, unsure what to do.

None of his teachers, his mother, or even his grandfather allowed weakness. A need for assistance. If you were weak you were useless and cut off (usually killed). This bird would be killed if he went for help. He didn't know how to take care of a bird, but he felt it deserved a chance.

So, taking advantage of this moment, he gently scooped the bird up in his hands.

"Don't worry," he whispered, unsure as to why, it's not like the bird could understand him. "I am going to help you. I promise."

He checked the hallways to make sure they were clear before quickly heading to his room.

His back rested against the wooden door before checking the bird again. It was the same. He then scanned his belongings for something useful.

How does one care for an injured/sick bird? What does this bird eat, what are this bird's habits, where is the bird from?

Damian emptied a small box he'd found in the room and laid the bird inside, watching it closely. It didn't respond to the new environment. He decided the bird found the box adequate and that it should stay long enough for him to do a little research as to how to best assist this bird.

Based on his research over a few hours he'd concluded he'd found an American Robin. One that had flown a great distance away from its home. Robins were resilient birds that could handle relatively harsh climates that came in the Northeastern parts of the United States.

He observed the bird for a while and believed the main issue was exhaustion. It needed lots of rest along with food and water.

Damian could more than accommodate those needs.

He snuck off to get some fruit for the bird. Part of him wanted to name the bird.

What does one name a robin?