56. Away

And we're back!

This chapter was supposed to be far longer but I figured that I would get it out to you as soon as I could. Besides, I'm still trying to figure out some final details for what comes next.

~~~

The guild's return to Magnolia was a triumphant one. A stark contrast to their departure. The contempt and scorn they had previously now but a distant memory. The once barren request board was overflowing and new members were joining their ranks every other day. Drinks flowed. Laughter echoed through the guildhall. Music bounced off the walls. Magic flowed through the air. At first glance, one wouldn't know it was any different from the Fairy Tail of seven years past.

Except there was one thing. It was small. Nearly imperceptible. None of the newer members noticed. Few of the older ones took note either. It seemed nobody took note of it. Nobody but him.

While Team Natsu had continued to be as boisterous as ever, one honourary member of the team was off. Something was wrong with y/n.

Sure, she sat with and readily conversed with her fellow guildmates. But she never initiated it and it seemed as if she were spending less and less time at the guildhall. Slowly decreasing the amount of time she spent with them day by day. And the time she did spend there, she was withdrawn. She hung back, sitting as close to the corners and walls as she could without appearing disagreeable.

When she was in the guildhall she was fidgety, anxious. Her e/c eyes darted around as if there were a constant threat of attack around every corner. And while she didn't deny physical contact, she definitely shied away from it. It was all subtle. To be sure, but it became evident when one observed the situation from afar. Others only began to take note when Team Natsu headed out on a job to Crocus, one which suited her skill set and surely would have piqued her interest, and yet y/n stayed behind.

Her response to the questioning stares was to ignore them. And her response to those who audibly voiced their confusion was to say that she was tired or wanted a break before swiftly and efficiently changing the subject and slipping away from the conversation as quick as she could.

Y/n, as if sensing the eyes on her, sat up straighter and scanned the room.

Freed turned away, focusing instead on the rest of the Thunder Legion. Bickslow and Evergreen were in the midst of yet another argument, surely started by Bickslow's incessant teasing of Ever's clear infatuation with Elfman. Laxus, as always, sat silent, somewhat distanced from the others.

Outside of the ordinary, however, was the lack of an amused shine in his eyes. There was no minuscule twitch of a smile on his lips. His face was set in a stoic yet rather intense expression. His grey eyes were storming, shades of varying darkness swirling together while emotions clashed, as he stared across the room.

Freed followed his gaze. Y/n stared right back. He looked away quickly.

"There's something up with her," Laxus said, his voice low as he turned to look Freed in the eye.

He dipped his head, acknowledging the statement. "Yes, I've ascertained the same."

"Something up? With who?" Bickslow asked, playful banter put on hold. He looked between the two and, after following Laxus' wandering gaze, blinked as if in surprise. "You mean y/n?"

"Yes," Freed said. "She's been off since we returned from the games."

"It's been longer than that," Laxus said. "She's been on edge since the fight with the dragons."

"Really? I didn't notice," Bickslow said, a small, confused frown tugging at the corner of his mouth.

"Well then maybe you should replace your helmet with some contacts," Evergreen said, snyly.