9. What Friends Are For

Y/n sat on one of the many bar stools her forehead pressed against the cool wood.

"What's got you down?" The brunette woman next to her, Cana if y/n remembered correctly inquired. Her words were a little slurred which was impressive because y/n had seen her down at least four barrels of alcohol and yet the woman was hardly buzzed.

Cana slung one arm around y/ns shoulder and raised the other in the air. "This is s'posed t' be a party!"

"I know, I know," she muttered, sitting up straighter. "I'm just a little preoccupied that's all,"

"With what?" Lucy asked, looking at the h/c girl curiously. "Anything I can do to help?"

"Not unless you know a nice place with cheap rent,"

The blonde blinked at her questionably. "You've been here for almost a week, how have you not found a place to stay? Scratch that where have you been staying?"

"I haven't found the right place yet," Y/n shrugged. "And I've been staying with Wendy- she insisted I could and I just haven't the heart to tell her no,"

"Aw," Lucy cooed. "Who'd think that you'd have a soft spot for children? Can you imagine the Bla-"

Y/n kicked her shin under the counted and shot her a warning glance. Other than the Seis and Team Natsu only a few people knew about her past. She'd felt a little bad asking the alliance to lie for her, but shockingly, they'd all agreed. She thought that Jura, being a wizard saint, would have told Lahar the truth in a heartbeat but he'd gone along with what she'd said, Hibiki as well. Y/n was forever grateful for them for that.

"But seeing as it's been a week I think it's high time I move out," Y/n said.

"What about Fairy Hills?" Mira offered from behind the counter. "I mean, you're already staying there with Wendy all that would change is that you'd have your own room,"

Y/n shook her head no. "I would but it's a little too pricey for me,"

"You could always room wih' me," Canna said with a wide grin. "We could split the rent- wouldn't be tha' bad,"

"I wouldn't want to intrude," she said.

Cana scoffed. "You wouldn't be intrudin' I'd love ta share a room with that hot ass,"

"T-thank you?" y/n felt her face heat up at Cana's words. "But I'd really rather a place in the city... Away from the commotion of the guild,"

"Boo..." Cana pouted before lifting another barrel to her lips.

"One of my neighbors just moved out," said Lucy, pulling y/n's attention away from the card mage. "My landlady's looking for a new tenant. I could put in a good wor-"

"Would you?" Y/n gasped, clapping her hands together. She looked up at the blonde with a smile, eyes shining. "You're the best!"

"Of course," Lucy laughed. "After all, what are friends for?"

The light in y/n's eyes dimmed a bit. She hadn't had a friend since... Well since her last had died. It still felt odd when she realized she had them, especially so many.

***

"Do you like it?" Lucy asked with a hopeful smile, walking into the apartment behind y/n.

"It's perfect," she breathed out, dropping her bag to the ground and twirling around.

It was indeed. Y/n had been a little wary of the so-called perfect apartment but Lucy did not disappoint. Fully furnished, lots of floor space, a gorgeous bathroom and beautiful windows allowing lots of natural light to flood in through the drapes. Yeah, the landlady was a little brash, but y/n could avoid her if it came down to it.

"I'm just across the hall if you need anything," Lucy said.

"Actually," y/n murmured, looking sheepishly to the side. "Do you have any towels I can borrow? At least until I get my own?"

Lucy smiled. "Yeah of course! I'll get them for you now,"

She nodded, murmuring a small thanks as she watched Lucy disappear into her own apartment. A loud scream ripped through the air and y/n was immediately on high alert.

Lucy.

Y/n knocked the blonde's door right off its hinges, fists raised offensively as she scanned the room. "Natsu?"

"Y/n?" He asked, blinking up at her from where he lay on the floor. "What're you doing here?"

"I just moved in across the hall," she replied pointing over her shoulder. "What are you doing here? Do you and Lucy live together?"

"No we do not," Lucy growled, glaring at the pink-haired mage. "He just shows up unannounced,"

"Hey, I have a good reason this time!"

"Oh yeah? And what's that?" she asked.

"We're going on a job!" Happy exclaimed.

Lucy groaned, handing y/n the pile of towels before turning to Natsu with a sigh. "When do we leave?"

"The end of the week,"

"Then why the hell did you break in?" Lucy growled, hitting him upside the head. "Couldn't you have waited until tomorrow?"

"Oh yeah," he said with a boyish grin. "I guess I could've,"

Lucy was about to hit him again but y/n caught her hand by the wrist. "Give him a break, he's excited that's all,"

"Yeah Lucy," Happy said. "You don't have to be so mean!"

She turned to the cat with a growl. "What was that fleabag?"

"Okay!" y/n exclaimed clapping her hands together. "Time for us to go!"

She grabbed Natsu and Happy and dragged them out of the room. "Thanks for the towels, Lucy! See you later!"

"What no get back here!" Lucy shouted. "You've still got to fix my door!"

Natsu stumbled behind y/n as she pulled him out the complex and down the street. He stared at her, a faint blush dusting her cheeks.

"You love her!" Happy cooed with a knowing smirk.

"Shut up Happy," he growled but the noise died in his throat when y/n laughed. It was a light melodious sound that danced through the air like music. His cheeks flushed a shade darker, as he let her pull him through the streets without a care in the world.

***

Y/n slowed to a stop, turning back to Natsu with a smile and awkward laugh. "Sorry about that,"

"Don't worry about it," He told her with his patent grin.

It was quiet for a moment before y/n spoke. "What do you want to do?"

Natsu felt his smile falter slightly. "What?"

"I mean, we're out we might as well do something right?" she asked. She took a small step back and averted her gaze. "Unless you don't want to. I-I just figured-"

"No," Natsu said a little too quick, tightening his grip on her hand. "I would love too,"

Y/n grinned, intertwining her fingers with his. "Awesome,"

~~~
1,154 words

No idea what this chapter was but here you go. I may write for what y/n and Natsu do or I might not. I don't really know.

I'm sorry if the pacing is a little off- but in my mind, Natsu would be the first to develop feelings, though it could hardly be described as a crush at this stage. At least, not in my mind.

Thanks for reading!