47. Chariots

So I'm not really sure what Frosch's pronouns are. The wiki says that their gender is unknown so I'm going to be using they/them pronouns. I'll come back and change it later should we ever actually find out.

~~~

Y/n let out a low groan as she pressed her cheek against the cool stone barrier. The sun was glaring down on the Domus Flau. It's bright light only served to strengthen the pounding headache between her eyes. The roaring of the crowd felt like blows to the face and every time one of the commentators opened their mouths y/n had to resist the urge to stab someone. Had it been so loud the first day?

"Would it kill them to be just a bit quieter?" she muttered, reaching for her water. She blinked as a styrofoam cup was placed before her, steam floating out from a gap in the lid. Coffee. Black, if the scent was any indication.

"You look like you need it," Mira said with a kind smile.

"Thank you," y/n said, taking a small sip. She grimaced, smacking her lips in distaste at the bitter flavour. A heavy sigh fell from her lips as she took another gulp, turning her gaze to the lacrima screens floating above the arena. She cringed. "Boy did we pick the wrong person to compete,"

The second day's competition was called "Chariots". Y/n had figured that the name itself was a perfectly clear sign for any dragon slayers not to compete. But Natsu had been adamant about participating and Gajeel, ever the competitive spirit, was determined not to let the Salamander show him up.

Team B had been understandably hesitant but they had allowed him to compete as he'd never shown symptoms of motion sickness before. But there's a first time for anything. And so they were stuck watching as Natsu, Gajeel and Sting inched their way across the chariots at a snail's pace. The audience roared with laughter, finding amusement in their pain.

"Ichiya comes in fifth! That just leaves us with a three-man battle for last place," Chapati announced, his voice barely audible over the crowd.

"Gods, just looking at them makes me sick," y/n muttered, her face paling as her stomach rolled treacherously.

"You sure that's not your hangover talking?" Laxus asked, the corner of his lip twitching up into a smirk.

"Can you do me a favour and come closer so I can kill you real quick?" she asked, lips curled in a contemptuous sneer. Her e/c eyes narrowed into a half-hearted glare as she stared him down. He chuckled lowly, shaking his head no as he turned his attention back to the arena. Y/n rolled her eyes with a low huff, muttering against her cup. "Pussy,"

"You get motion sick right y/n?" Mira asked. When y/n nodded the white-haired mage looked to Laxus a questioning brow raised. "What about you?"

"Just don't let Natsu know. I'll never live it down," He groused, crossing his arms across his chest

"I probably wouldn't have admitted to that if I were you," Juvia said.

They fell silent once more as they turned their attention back to the event.

Y/n couldn't help the wide smile that tugged at her lips as Natsu and Gajeel crawled their way across the finish line, placing sixth and seventh, respectively. The crowd roared, their cheers echoing through the coliseum like thunder.

All the Fairy Tail Wizards were moved by Natsu's speech, even Laxus had a minute smile pulling at his lips. Some of their guildmates had been brought to tears. Not that y/n could blame them. The fire dragon's speech had perfectly encapsulated the sentiments of the Tenrou Team.

They had no way of knowing just how their guildmates had suffered for the past seven years. They weren't participating for their appearances, but rather as an apology to those who'd been left behind, mourning their loss. Y/n could only hope that securing victory would in fact serve to sever the guilt and shame that bore down on the Tenrou Team's shoulders.