19. Shot Through the Heart

This chapter is short, barely a thousand words. Sorry.

~~~

"No," y/n breathed, eyes wide as she watched the Dragon Chain Cannon fire. It struck the island and the lacrima began to fall, heading straight for Extalia.

Their plan had failed.

Y/n growled, slamming her fist into a knights head so hard that his helmet split in two. Her eyes were dead as she studied the line of men before her. They took a step back, shrinking under her gaze, murmuring uncertainly amongst themselves. She took their moment's hesitation glance around the room. Trying to think of something, anything, that could be done. But even if she thought of something it would be pointless. Erza was occupied, swords clashing with that of her Edolas counterpart. And even with Natsu and Gray's help, there was no way that they could defeat all the troops fast enough to act.

The room shook as the ceiling exploded, sending debris flying throughout the room. When the dust cleared a large beast stood before her. A familiar blonde sat on it's back.

"Get on!" Lucy shouted.

Y/n and the others wasted no time doing as they were told. The creature, a Legion as the king had called it, beat its wings and lifted up, off of the ground. The Legion flew through the air towards the lacrima, lifting its head to the sky and letting out a deafening roar.

"Let's go!" Natsu shouted as they neared the floating island. "If we can't stop it everyone we know will die!"

The Legion slammed its head against the island and began to push against the island. The sound of the collision rolled like thunder through the sky and y/n had to take a step back to steady herself.

"It's got to much mass and momentum," y/n stated. "It's not gonna work,"

"If we are to fall we'll do so with the rest of Magnolia!" Erza declared.

They all nodded, determined to save their friends. Natsu growled and slammed his head against the island. A magic circle spread out as he started to push. The others followed suit, trying to force the island back with nothing but their magic and sheer strength.

Y/n turned as another pair of hands slammed into the island. Gajeel stood beside her, his jaw set as he too began to push. He nodded at her in greeting, his eyes steely.

"How's it hanging?" Y/n asked him. She shifted her stance and focused her magic, gathering it in her arms and legs.

"I found a cat,"

"Did you now?" she grunted as the space between the lacrima and Extalia shrunk. "You must be thrilled,"

"Hell yeah I am," Gajeel grinned. "Once this has been dealt with I'm gonna beat him and he'll be mine,"

"Gajeel what are you doing here?" Erza demanded. "You should be using your magic to free the others. Get back up there!"

Gajeel turned to her with a scowl. "If you wanna deal with the cat be my guest!"

"We don't have time to worry about the lacrima or the cat," y/n snapped. "Just push!"

Lucy nodded, her arms shaking with strain. "We have to stop it or everyone from Magnolia will be lost forever!"

"Coco! What are you doing?!" y/n looked up at the sound of a deep voice, her eyes landing on a large exceed. She glanced at Gajeel from the corner of her eyes who nodded at her excitedly, a smug smirk tugging at his lips.

"Lily, you're still in one piece!" Coco exclaimed with a relieved smile. "I'm glad. Who needs eternal magic power when you can have eternal smiles?"

"What kind of nonsense is that? You have to get out of there Coco!" Lily snarled. "These people can't stop Extalia's destruction!"

"Don't be so sure," Natsu growled, pushing the island with newfound strength. "If there's one thing Fairy Tail wizards prove it's that nothing's impossible!"

"Aye, sir!" Happy and y/n chimed in sync. The latter throwing the pink-haired mage a wide grin.

Y/n gasped as Carla flew in beside Happy and began to push. Her eyes widened as the sky lit up with green-blue streaks of light as all the exceeds exited their homeland to help. Shouts to keep going, to never give up, rang through the air and y/n felt her heart swell. She pushed harder, calling upon as much magic as she could muster. The island shuddered violently and an ear-splitting a roar echoed through the night sky as it flew back.

Y/n's tired grin was quickly wiped off her face when the lacrima began to glow. She groaned in exasperation. "What now?"

The blue glow became blinding and everyone was thrown away by an unseen force. Y/n felt the wind get knocked out of her as she landed on Coco's Legion's back, rolling to a stop. She climbed to her feet, blinking the spots from her eyes. Her jaw dropped.

The lacrima was gone.

"It disappeared," Gray murmured. "Does that mean...?"

Lucy brought a hand up to her face. Her brown eyes flooding with concern. "What happened to our friends? Do you- do you think they're..."

"Don't worry, they're all safe and sound,"

"Mystogan," Erza breathed.

"Sorry it took so long, finding an adequate anima vestige to restore everything took a little longer than I thought," he continued, his eyes trailing over the wizards before him. "Without your efforts, I never would have made it in time. You have my gratitude,"

"Everyone's back to normal?" Happy asked with a bright smile.

"Yes," Mystogan nodded. "By passing through the anima again the lacrima will return to its normal form in Earthland. It's finally over,"

Y/n sighed, an overwhelming sense of relief washing over her. "Good,"

Everyone cheered triumphantly, turning to each with wide grins. They laughed loudly as they celebrated their victory.

"Lily," Mystogan turned his gaze to the large exceed. He removed his hat and mask, offering a kind smile. "Long ago you saved my life I'm glad I was able to return the favour today,"

"And I couldn't begin to thank you, my prince,"

Y/n's eyes were torn from the scene in front of her with a gasp. She didn't register what was happening, she didn't even think. She threw herself from the Legion's back and towards the black exceed who was looking up at Mystogan through teary eyes.

Everyone's eyes widened as she knocked Pantherlily out of the way. A pained shriek tore its way free of her lips as the attack ripped through her stomach. Her body twisted unnaturally, seemingly hovering mid-air before she dropped without a sound.

~~~
1,089 words

Sorry for the wait y'all. I wasn't sure how to progress nor how to end this chapter.

Thank you all so much for reading!