34. Trouble In The Tub

Start from the beginning

Y/n let out a deep sigh as she sank deeper into her tub. She let her eyes flutter shut, warm water easing her muscles. Baths were alien to her during her time as a mercenary, which was why she'd been so excited when Lucy had shown her the apartment. The tub was deep and luxurious. Baths soon became commonplace after nearly every mission. Then Lucy had mentioned something called bubble bath and y/n fell in love all over again.

The bathroom door swung open and she shrieked. A burst of red mist flew towards the person at the door before y/n even had a chance to look.

"Ow, y/n what the hell?"

"What the hell yourself! The fuck do you think you're doing barging into my bathroom?"

"Well you weren't anywhere else I checked so I figured you'd have to be here,"

"Jeez Natsu," y/n muttered. She met his gaze and her glare softened. "Are you okay?"

"I can't feel anything," Natsu shrugged, rubbing his cheek with the palm of his hand.

"Give it a few minutes and you will," She made a grabbing motion for the towel and Natsu handed it to her before turning his back to her. The act would have meant a lot more if he hadn't barged in on her in the first place.

Y/n seized Natsu's wrist, pulling his hand away from his pink cheeks. She fixed him a stern look as she forced it down to his side. "Stop touching it, you'll spread the poison,"

"Sorry," He offered her a sheepish grin, his gaze quickly flickering away. His cheeks were flushed and his skin was becoming dewy with sweat.

"Go sit on the bed," she said, waving him off with a sigh. "I'll be with you in a minute,"

***

Natsu's mind was racing. A lot had happened that night. He'd kissed y/n. She'd kissed him back. Then Gray had cornered him on his way home, spouting off a bunch of garbage a demanding Natsu to leave y/n alone. Something in Natsu had snapped at the ice mage's words.

He couldn't remember much of the battle. Just the burning rage and overwhelming power. After Happy had broken them up, Natsu had stumbled over to y/n's place to find her in the tub. She'd attacked him, which looking back on he deserved. At the moment, he was splayed across her comforter, trying to ignore the pain that coursed through his veins.

He turned at the sound of the door opening and smiled as y/n stepped out. He sat up with a wince, giving her space to sit beside him.

Her gaze was serious as she looked over his face, sucking in a sharp breath between her teeth. She raised her hands, hesitating a moment as her fingers brushed the soft fabric of his scarf.

"May I?" her e/c eyes were gentle as she spoke, waiting patiently for his reply.

Natsu nodded and y/n slowly began pulling it from around his neck.

"So what are you doing here?" she asked. She slung a leg over his as she turned to face him fully, her hands glowing with sky magic.

"It's raining," Natsu said, shuddering as her fingers traced the jagged scar on his neck. The feeling was odd, but not unwelcomed.

"That it is," y/n replied. "But that doesn't answer my question,"

"I figured I could stay here overnight and then in the morning we can go see a rainbow,"

She paused for a moment, blinking up at him, her head cocked to the side.

"I promised, remember?" Natsu shifted on the bed.

Y/n hissed, hooking her leg around his waist and holding him still. No words were spoken but the message was clear. Don't move.

"I do remember," she answered with a nod. "But I didn't expect you too,"

"I would never forget a promise," he stated with a certainty that almost made her believe him.

She didn't bother replying and silence soon overcame them.

"That should do it," y/n said after a couple of minutes. "Let me know if the pain comes back,"

"I will, thanks," he said. "And sorry for that,"

"It's not a problem, just don't do it again," she smiled, picking up his scarf. Her eyes widened as she hissed. "Fuck,"

"What?" Natsu asked. "What's wrong?"

"The poison must have eaten away at your scarf," she muttered, lifting it up to show him the damage. One end of it was now uneven and ragged. It wasn't horrible but it was noticeable. "I'm really sorry- but I can fix it,"

"You can fix it?" Natsu asked incredulously. He watched her rush around the room, grabbing an armful of things before she rejoined him on the bed. "How?"

"I can sew a piece back on," she said, picking it up gingerly as if it would break at the slightest of touch.

"You can sew?"

Y/n nodded absently as she stood and walked over to her closet. "And knit,"

"You knit?" he echoed.

"Yeah," she shrugged, rifling through her clothes. "Why is that so hard to believe?"

"You're just so cool, and awesome," Natsu said, falling back onto the bed and breathing in her screen. "All stabby and backflippy and strong. Knitting's kind of..."

"Domestic, docile and lame?" y/n asked, standing over him with an arched brow.

He shook his head rapidly. "No! It's just not something I'd expect from you, that's all,"

"What can I say?" she asked, holding the scarf up to her sweater with a hum. "I'm full of surprises?"

"What's the top for?"

"I don't have any fabric that matches your scarf," she explained, holding up a pair of scissors. "So I'm using this instead,"

"What?" Natsu exclaimed. He shook his head animatedly. "No, you can't,'

"It's no big deal, really," y/n said as she made the first cut. "I messed up your scarf so it's only fair,"

He opened his mouth to argue but she spoke before he could.

"No buts,"

"Fine,"

It was relatively quiet between them as y/n worked. But it was a comfortable silence, the kind that warms the air and makes one giddy. Natsu eventually found himself leaning against y/n, his fingers running through her h/c hair.

"There we go, all done," y/n said suddenly. She wrapped the scarf around Natsu's neck with a smile.

"Thanks," he grinned, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. "And I'm sorry about your sweater,"

"It's fine," she assured him, waving it off. "Besides, I could always make something out of what's left. I could make myself a scarf so that we'd match!"

Y/n blinked as something soft was dropped over her shoulders. She stared at the scarf around her neck for a moment before looking up at Natsu, her brows furrowed. His cheeks were dusted pink as he stared deep into her eyes, his own flooded with sincerity and warmth.

"Or, maybe, you could just wear mine,"

Y/n coughed, looking away. She tried to ignore the heat burning her cheeks as she met his gaze once more. "Yeah, maybe,"

~~~

1,733 words

I've really got to stop writing for Natsu. But he's the easiest for me to write and come up with ideas for. So I have no idea how to remedy the situation.

Sorry to anyone who was looking forward to it but I've elected to forgo the Key of the Starry Heavens arc. I just can't figure it out. So instead, we're going to jump straight to the Grand Magic Games.

Thanks for reading!