Chara

I listen closely, waiting for the pause to end and for him to explain his reasoning. 

I see the pain and fear in his eyes. The powerlessness and sorrow. The utter dread permeating from his very soul.

 I taste it in the air. 

A few months ago it would have been something to savor. If it were someone else It probably still would be. But not [Y/n]'s. Not his. 

The smell of despair is undoubtedly his, the memory of the ruins remains fresh in my mind. Before I found It kind of funny but now It just makes me feel sick to my stomach. 

That someone I care about so much could be in so much pain. 

Pain the mirror of my own.

I just hope he'll let me help him. 

Watching him suffer like this is making me crazy. 

He sighs after a moment, using his thumb to pick at his index finger, a habit of his I noticed shortly after we met. He has a callous in the spot he always scratches. 

I focus on this detail for a moment before he starts speaking. 

"You and Frisk are Determination." He repeats again, looking at his hand a frown on his face. "And I am Desire." 

"Nearly the same and yet different in a single and crucial way." 

"And that is?" I ask quietly, hearing the sad acceptance in his voice.

"A focus point." He answers. "A filter." 

"You decide to do something consciously and you strive toward that unendingly," He continues. "An unwavering drive that has changed the world." 

'In more ways than you know.' I think to myself sadly. 

"But my soul.." He trails off, pulling the glowing purple thing from thin air, illuminating the room in his dark lilac hue. "It's impulse." He spits venomously. 

I flinch at the harshness in his tone. The previously unsaid hatred for his own existence leaking out like poison. 

"Intrusive thoughts and dark impulse rewarded with strength." He says with a slight sneer. "My soul and I are in a toxic relationship." He jokes bitterly. 

Again I feel his emotions in the air as strongly as if I were touching them. Not that I need such demonic powers to understand how he's feeling. 

Even If I hadn't been through something similar I can see it plain enough on his face. 

"In my darker moments, I find myself blaming Sans for this.." He admits in a whisper, a forced smile on his face. 

I squeeze his hand softly to snap him out of whatever thought he's lost in. 

His eyes shift to me quickly and for a moment I feel myself dive into the sorrow of his Lilac pupils. 

Purple again.. 

And when did I start holding his hand?

No, doesn't matter Chara focus! 

"Listen [Y/n] I know this is hard, and we can talk as many times as you need for as long as you need, I never want you to feel like you're taking too long," I say softly, the words coming quickly as my mind races to comfort my friend. "And whenever you feel ready to try to control this, I will do my best to help, no matter how you choose to do it and no matter how long it takes."

He tries and fails to fight an embarrassed smile. "I thought you weren't gonna do any more mushy soft stuff.." He mumbles, hiding his red face.

"I guess you just bring it out of me." I joke back nudging him softly.

We sit in silence for a moment before I continue. "There's no timetable for progress." His head is buried in his knees but I know he's listening. "And I mean what I said, when, where, and how doesn't matter, you can count on me."

He takes this in for a moment and I hear a few very quiet sobs that turn into sniveling laughs. "Some de-demon you are." He jokes with a smirk. 

"I do my best." I coo gently, returning his smile. 

"Sorry, this keeps happening." He mutters, leaning against me. 

"It comes with the title," I say simply. 

"Princess?" He asks. 

"Best friend." I remind him.

"Awee, you called me your best friend!" He grins brightly, his purple eyes shimmering.

"Don't let it get to your head." 

He laughs and leans against me more. 

"School's gonna suck tomorrow."  He whines.

"You have school again?"

"Yeah."

"Don't worry, if someone bothers you I'll skin them." I say, with my most convincing tone.

He looks legitimately concerned for a long moment before he sees through my ruse. "Oh god you had me going for a second."

I snicker at his response. "I'm not entirely joking." 

"Don't hurt anyone please Chara." 

"No promises." 

"Yes promises!"

I giggle at this and can't help but find his annoyed pleading kind of cute.

That is until a bit of his snot nearly dribbles onto my sweater. 

"Agh, gross wipe your nose!" I sneer, pushing him off me.