Chapter 87: Nothing Like Doing Nothing With You

November 1st 2016

Annie had just finished setting the table for dinner as everyone began to file in and Nat walked over to her.

"Hey, Annie. Do you have a sec?"

"Sure, what's up?"

"I noticed you dropped fresh towels this morning and I saw some outside Bucky's room."

"Yeah?"

Nat shifted uncomfortably for a moment. "He's taking some time off, he won't be at the compound for a while so you can skip his room for now."

Annie's eyes went wide. "Oh, Tony didn't tell me. I hope everything is okay."

"He didn't tell Tony, he wanted to keep it on the down low and he's okay. Just needed some distance."

Annie took a deep breath and nodded. "Okay, thank you for letting me know."

Nat squeezed Annie's arm gently and said, "By the way, Happy Birthday." Before sitting down to eat.

As she walked back to the counter to clean up from cooking Annie pulled her phone out to text Alex.

Annie: Hey did Sam mention anything to you about Bucky lately?

Alex: Thankfully, no. He knows I only care to hear about Barnes if he's been stabbed. Has he been stabbed?

Annie: Lex... No, Nat just told me he left the compound and won't be back for a while.

Alex: And we care about this why?

Annie: The timing. I can't help but think it's odd. Apparently he didn't even tell Tony.

Alex: Annie, what Barnes does or doesn't do is not on you. If he left because he couldn't handle you and Rood Runners disgusting PDA that is on him. Now go enjoy your birthday with your child bridegroom.

Annie: HE'S 27! THAT IS NOT A CHILD.

Alex: Birthday. Boyfriend. GO!

At that Annie slid her phone back into her pocket with a grin that turned into a big smile as Pietro sauntered up beside her. "Hey stranger."

"Hi, birthday girl." He pushed a mess of curls that had fallen from her bun out of her face and placed a kiss on her forehead. "If you are done in here I have a surprise for you."

Annie pulled back with a cautious look on her face. "Piet, you just planned an elaborate party for me less than a week ago. I don't need anything else."

"That was hardly elaborate, it was food and streamers and-"

"And a week of mind alterations."

He glared down at her. "And this isn't anything big either. Now are you done?"

Annie walked into whatever room Pietro was directing her towards with his hands over her eyes.

"Is this really necessary?" She said with her arms out in front of her afraid to run into anything.

"Yes, now put your hands down. I'm not going to walk you into a wall."

Annie did as she was told and a moment later they came to a stop and Pietro moved his hands. She blinked slowly as she took in the details of the room in front of her. They were in one of the conference rooms on the lower floor but in place of the usual table and chairs the couch and coffee table from Pietro's room sat in front of her and the far wall had a large projector showing the Mario Kart start screen. She took a few tentative steps forward and saw the couch had several pillows and blankets strewn about and the table had burgers that looked like they were from Maude's and red velvet cookies. Her heart swelled and she could feel tears lining her eyes as she let out a small huff.

Annie had always made it very clear she didn't like to be fussed over, didn't want anyone to do anything for her. Mostly because it made her feel awkward or indebted to people and it was just easier to go without and not deal with the anxiety of waiting for the bill to come due. Pietro knew that but he didn't seem to care and honestly for possibly the first time in her life Annie was okay with it.

Annie blinked a few times to clear the happy tears away before she turned around to face Pietro. "What's all this?"

"Your birthday dinner," he said and shrugged as he walked towards her from the door where he had been waiting. "And our first official date on which I will be demolishing you in Mario Kart."

"We'll see about that."

Several hours later, after Annie had beaten Pietro at a two to one ratio, they had traded in their lively competition for movies. Since it was her birthday Pietro had let Annie pick and of course she had chosen a tragic romance movie that had come out earlier that summer but as she curled into his side on the verge of tears he didn't mind. He had been honestly dumbfounded when she had kissed him the other night. Nearly a year of flirting and hitting on her he thought something had finally clicked. The next afternoon Alex had told him she had said something to Annie and at first he was a little irritated she'd stolen his thunder but the sublimity of the last few days had put that right out of his head. What did it matter how it happened as long as it had? Even if he had had a grand speech planned. Truly it wasn't as if much had changed. They still hung out, went on walks, he helped her clean, all the regular stuff. Just with the added bonus of finally being able to kiss her whenever he wanted. He looked at her, tears fully flowing down her face now and he laughed.

Annie sniffled and sat up. "Why are you laughing? It's really sad!"

"I'm laughing because you are full on ugly crying at a movie."

"Of course I'm ugly crying. HE DIED!" Annie swatted him with one of the pillows as she wiped at her face with the sleeve of her sweater.

As the pillow hit him he let out a woosh of air and couldn't stop himself from blurting the words that had been on his mind all day when he got his breath back. "God I love you."

They both froze for a beat. He'd said it before, although he had been half asleep at the time but he wasn't sure how she felt about hearing it right now and couldn't read her face in the darkness or through all the puffiness from crying. But then her lip twitched, like she was holding back a smile.

"Is that so?"

Might as well use some of that speech now. Pietro sat up and turned to face Annie more fully. "I know that might seem really fast but I have spent the last year wanting this." He moved his hand to gesture between them. "Now that it's here it feels so right and I loved you before, as my best friend but, yes, I am in love with you. I get if it's too soon for you or too much right now but-"

"I love you too." He stopped talking when she spoke and Annie could see the question in his eyes. "The in love with you kind. I realized it a few months ago but I never thought..."

Pietro tackled her and they became lips and teeth and hands roving over each other.

After what felt like forever and no time at all the friction and pressure of him on top of her wasn't enough anymore and she gasped out, "I have condoms in my nightstand."

Pietro pulled back eyes hazy for a moment before they focused and he registered the words Annie had said. A grin started to form on his face but paused and he cocked his head. "I thought you were fixed."

Annie's face contorted in offense. "I'm not a dog, weirdo. Yes, I had my tubes tied but STI's are a thing."

"Seriously?"

"We could not do this if that's what you prefer."

"Be back in a blink." Annie felt a kiss pressed to her lips and then a rush of air. Before she could even sit up Pietro's weight was on her again.