Chapter 66: Street Fight

Annie stepped out the front door of Maude's, walking a few feet down the block she leaned back on the building and closed her eyes deciding to take a few minutes in the cool air before getting an Uber. After the last song she had thanked Sadie for the push and helped the band pack up while she finished her last drink. When she had paid her tab she caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror behind the bar and rows of bottles. Her hair was always unruly but now it looked wild and savage despite all Sadie's efforts, her cheeks were flushed and the lipstick Sadie had put on her was a bold red. I look like wildfire. She chuckled to herself at the thought and she saw Bucky and Kat in the mirror talking. For the first time since he'd gotten there he wasn't paying attention to her so she took the opportunity to slip out. She heard familiar footsteps come down the sidewalk and stop in front of her.

"A.J. Easton huh?" Bucky asked.

Annie didn't open her eyes when she answered. "All the big stars have stage names. Why can't I?"

"Never took you as the type to want to be famous."

Annie wasn't the type and Bucky knew it. Irritated, she opened her eyes and looked at him. "I'm sure Kat is inside wondering where you are so we can skip the small talk. What do you want, Bucky?"

"She can wonder all she wants, Sweetheart. I'm not here for her." He said as he moved closer.

Annie pushed herself up off the wall and made to step away. "Then why are you here?" She asked and stumbled a little as she spoke the last word.

Bucky reached out and caught her arm to steady her. He didn't move his hand when he answered. "I'm here for you." She pushed his hand off her and made a disgusted sound as she began to walk down the sidewalk. He sighed and began to follow her. "I'm serious, Annie. Kat texted me and said you were here and had been drinking. Considering todays date, I was worried so I came to make sure you were okay."

"Oh give me a break, Bucky. You don't give a fuck about me being okay." She called over her shoulder, running a hand through her hair.

"What are you talking about, of course I give a fuck!" People in the street were starting to watch as they stormed past so he sped up and got closer to her to avoid yelling.

"If that were true you wouldn't have dated Kat. Or at the very least you wouldn't have continued to bring her around knowing that she treated me like shit and made me feel awful about myself every chance she could."

Bucky grabbed her hand and pulled her to the side and out of the way, making her face him. "What the hell are you talking about?"

Annie crossed her arms over her chest. "After you left whenever I went to Maude's, Kat acted like I was shit on the bottom of her shoe. Comments about my looks, my weight, my unworthiness to exist in public. I tried not to let it get to me but I'm fucking human and after a while it wears you down. But I put up with it because I only ever saw her at the bar and for the most part she was busy working. But then you brought her to the compound, to my home and...she's a horrible person, Bucky."

"How could I have known any of that? I wasn't here and you never said anything!"

Annie threw her hands up. "She did it right in front of you!" Her face fell and she suddenly looked tired. Before she continued she leaned back against the wall where they stood. "She wasn't exactly kind before you left but after you came back...the very first time you brought her to the compound she did it right in front of you, in front of everyone at dinner. It was subtle but your not stupid, Bucky. She looked right at you when she did it and you didn't call her out on it so she never stopped."

Bucky thought back to the day she was referring to and played through the events and she was right, Kat had made a dig at Annie.

"Thank God you can cook, Allie. At least you have one way to entice a man."

He remembered it had grated on him but why hadn't he stopped it, why didn't he say anything? Because Maximoff had beaten him to it.

"Don't you worry about Солнышко, Katie. She has plenty of other enticing attributes. Plus her cooking skills will never fade, whereas your pretty face will." And then he'd left the table, taking his plate to eat at the island with Annie.

"Annie, I'm sorry. You're right. I saw it and I..." I was jealous. "I should have said something."

Annie rolled her eyes and pushed off the wall walking past him and back towards Maude's. "It's a little late for apologies, Bucky."

Can she just stand still for a damn minute. "Then what can I do to make it right? I already broke up with Kat. What else do you want?" He said as he trailed after her again.

She stopped abruptly and he almost ran into her. She swayed a little as her eyes, shooting daggers, met his. "I want you to leave me alone."

Bucky worked his jaw side to side as he looked around the street. They were almost at his bike and at this point he just wanted to get her home. I can try and fix the rest of it later. "Fine, now come on." He started walking to the bike and pulled out his keys. When didn't feel her behind him he looked over his shoulder. She hadn't moved and was looking at him with a furrowed brow. "I'm taking you home and then I'll be out of your hair."

"I'm not riding with you." She said, pulling out her phone.

"Then how the hell are you getting back?" He growled as he took the few steps back to her.

She started to walk away again as she stared down at her phone. "I'm going to take an Uber like every other drunk in the city." She wasn't paying attention to where she was going and nearly walked into the street.

Bucky quickly pulled her back just as a car flew by. "Damn it, Annie. You are trashed, just get on the bike and let's go."

"I'm fine, Bucky. I don't need you."

He stepped closer, face just inches from hers. "If you want me to leave you alone, get on the bike."

Disgust and anger flashed across her face. "What?"

"Get on the bike. Let me take you home and get you to bed. Do that and I promise after tonight I won't bother you again. I will stay out of your way and leave you alone." He could feel as she tried to take a step back but he had his arm around her waist and was not letting go. He had made this mess and he wasn't going to walk away from it.

After what seemed like a never ending stare down she answered. "Fine." Before pushing off his chest hard and walking to his bike.