Chapter 24: Stay Safe

Fifteen minutes later they were walking onto the landing bay with Tony at Avengers Tower. Clint was already on the quinjet contacting the Avengers at the compound with an ETA. While Bucky had been spending more time training with Steve and Nat he had yet to join the group on any of the recent raiding missions. So if they were calling in everyone it had to be big.

"We are pretty sure this is one of, if not the last Hydra base. We think Loki's scepter is there so hopefully once this is done I can return to retirement." Tony said to Annie as they walked. "I'm not sure how long we will be gone but I will contact you before we leave Sokovia. If this is successful, be ready. We are going to have one hell of a party." With that Tony walked onto the jet to prepare for take off.

Bucky stopped and pulled Annie to face him. "Do me a favor and stay here with Pepper, I'm less likely to worry knowing you aren't at the compound all by yourself."

"I've been at the compound by myself before, Sarge. I'll be fine."

"Annie, please. I don't have time to argue with you right now. Just stay here."

Annie rolled her eyes. She didn't want to stay at the tower. Sure Tony and Pepper had guest rooms but Annie wanted to be in her own bed and her own space. She was going to be anxious enough with everyone fighting, she didn't want to feel out of place on top of that. He knows that. But Bucky had asked her too and he was right, there wasn't time to argue. Not that she would even want to argue if there were time. "Fine, be safe." Is all she said before he leaned down and kissed her.

"Lets go, Cyborg, we've got Nazis to kill!" Came Tony's voice from the jet. So Annie stepped back and headed into the tower as Bucky boarded the jet.

After a few minutes in the air Clint and Bucky were prepping weapons when Stark called out, "Barnes." Bucky walked up to the cockpit where Tony was sitting. "I know we are headed into a potentially deadly situation so the timing on this is less than ideal but I still need to say it. That girl has been through enough hell and heartache in her life, don't add to it." He said looking up at Bucky harshly.

"I don't plan on it, Stark," Bucky said before he returned to his work.

The next day Annie was sitting in the much smaller kitchen of the tower where the dining table had become her makeshift office. She had returned to the compound to pick up some clothes, toiletries and her charger but had honored Bucky's request to not stay there alone. She had thought about just staying at the compound anyway but she was a terrible liar and didn't want to give him a reason to be upset. She was working on rescheduling some meetings for Tony when her phone rang.

"Hey, Tony, is everyone okay? Where are you guys?"

"Everyone's alive, Red, Barton's hurt but Dr. Cho is on her way, so show her into Banner's lab."

"Is it bad?"

"He'll be back to himself in a day or two, unfortunately. Good news is, we got the Scepter, so get to work sending out invitations for Saturday night. We will be back at the tower in a few hours, can you whip up some food?"

"Yeah, not a problem."

"Alright, see you soon."

And with a click Tony hung up the phone and Annie let out a deep sigh of relief. Everyone is okay. She cleaned up her paperwork and went to see what she could make to eat.

The next several days were a flurry of action. Between needing to find accommodations for Dr. Cho and her team, setting up catering, bartenders, security and music for the party, as well as sending out and confirming attendance on the guest list Annie barely had time to use the bathroom. She had briefly greeted Bucky and the others at the tower when they had arrived; but they had all gone back to the compound while she stayed in the city to work on plans. While she didn't exactly want to stay at the tower longer than she had to, it would be easier with all the running around she would be doing.

Late Friday night Annie finally made it back to the compound. She had finished as much as she could at the tower for the night but would need to be back early to set up and let in vendors but she needed to pick up an outfit and wanted to spend a night in her own bed. She rubbed at her eyes, exhausted, as she exited the elevator and went into the kitchen. As she had predicted it looked like a tornado had gone through her usually pristine work area. She sighed heavily, she was exhausted and stressed and being forced out of her comfort zone for days had put her on edge. I will worry about it Sunday, I just want to get some sleep.

Annie opened the door to her room as quietly as she could, not wanting to wake anyone. Shutting the door behind her she dropped her things on her desk and started peeling off her, at this point disgusting, clothes. As she walked towards her bed she stopped, surprised to see a groggy looking Bucky watching her.

"Don't stop on my account." He said with a flirty smile.

She faltered a bit, confused but she felt her cheeks blush as she walked to her dresser to grab her threadbare old nightshirt. It had long since lost the scent of Charlie but she had luckily been able to salvage it after last falls incident and she would probably wear it until it fell apart. Slipping it over her head she said, "Not that I'm complaining, but what on earth are you doing in here? I don't recall mentioning I was coming back tonight so why aren't you in your room?"

She turned to look at him as he threw back the covers and motioned for her to join him. "Are you really surprised? You know I can't sleep without you."

"Yes, but like I said I wasn't supposed to be here. So...?" She replied trailing off as she settled into the bed next to him.

Bucky wrapped his arms around Annie and pulled her in, kissing her. "So at least in here the sheets smell like you."