Chapter 82: Exclusions Apply

Late October 2016

"Wanda, seriously we need to head back to the compound, I need to start dinner." Annie said nervously as she checked her watch.

The afternoon before Wanda had asked Annie to go into the city with her for some spa coupon she had found online and then spend some time shopping in the city. Annie had happily agreed not having spent much time with Wanda in recent months but it was well past the time Wanda had promised they would be done and she showed no signs of finishing in the near future.

Wanda was checking her phone as they walked down the street, on the unusually warm day for late October, and Annie thought it was strange. Wanda had been more attuned to her phone today than she usually was. Wanda looked up from the screen and scanned the street. "Uh, okay but let's go to one more store please." She said, pulling Annie towards a shopfront.

"Ugh, fine but this is the last one!"

Some time after lunch Bucky heard a commotion that sounded like it was coming from the kitchen so he got up and left his room to investigate. When he stepped out of the hallway he found the kitchen full of people running around decorating as Maximoff directed them from the island. He saw Nat walk by and he grabbed her arm.

"What the hell is going on here?" He asked as he surveyed the stack of themed plates in her hand.

"We're getting ready for the party." Nat replied, looking at him confused.

"What's Stark throwing a party for now?"

Nat's eyes widened as she looked back at the island towards Maximoff. "Uhm, Tony isn't throwing the party, Pietro is." Bucky looked at her expectantly and she continued. "It's a surprise birthday party for Annie."

Bucky dropped his hand from Nat's arm as he looked around. "It's her birthday?"

Nat furrowed her brow. Did he really not know when her birthday was?  "No, it's on Tuesday but it's easier to plan a party for a weekend. No one told you?"

Bucky shook his head. "Guess I wasn't invited."

Annie tapped her foot impatiently as she and Wanda rode up in the elevator.

"Calm down, Annie. No one is going to be upset if dinner is a little late."

"I know but I texted your brother before we got in the Uber to see if he could pull a few things out for me and he hasn't responded."

"So?"

Annie sighed heavily and checked her phone again. "It's just not like him."

While Annie had been irritated at the delay in getting back to the compound she wasn't entirely worried about dinner. She'd had a few casseroles in the fridge she'd pulled out so there would be dinner on her day off tomorrow that she could just throw in tonight instead. She was however a little worried about Pietro not texting her back. She'd shot him a few messages over the course of the afternoon and sometime around when Wanda had dragged her into the last shop her phone showed that he had read them but he hadn't replied. She had even asked him a few direct questions and then asked him to prep dinner so she could start when she got home and nothing. She realized that people had lives and might not always get back to her right away but Piet always, always answered her.

The elevator doors opened and Annie and Wanda stepped out into a darkened hallway.

"Why the hell are all the lights off?" Annie said, feeling her way down the corridor towards the kitchen but Wanda didn't reply.

As Annie stepped into the open air of the main floor she reached for a light switch but was startled as the lights flicked on and she heard a chorus of "SURPRISE!"

Annie jumped back and almost knocked Wanda over as she looked around the room. All the Avengers, Clint, Laura, Pepper, Happy, Alex and even Iris stood in the room under a huge banner that read 'Happy Birthday'.

"What is all this?" Annie asked, hand still on her chest trying to calm her racing heart.

Pietro walked toward her and placed a small plastic tiara on her head before he pulled her into a hug. "Your party." He said softly in her ear and before he could pull away he heard her say.

"Iris?"

He knew what she was asking, how is Iris here? She had avoided the funeral because of the dangers of being found out but once Wanda had successfully removed Annie from Cherry's mind he had told his sister about Loki and asked if she thought she would be able to put the idea of Iris being Annie's cousin into the heads of all the Avengers.

"Wanda's been planting little seeds all week. It's safe." He pulled back and gave her a devilish grin.

Annie looked over her shoulder to Wanda who just subtly nodded. "Okay then." She said before smiling and moving to greet all the party attendees.