Chapter 29: This Is The End

Annie spent the next several days on the couch just watching her phone and the news. Bucky had called to say he and Sam were going to meet some of the team in Korea. She had watched the footage of the Avengers chasing Ultron through the city but she hadn't heard from him since. She had exchanged a few messages with Pepper and Maria but they didn't have much more information.

Annie was working in the garage and going through old storage boxes to try and calm her nerves when Alex came rushing out. "You might want to come inside and watch this." She said, grabbing Annie's arm and pulling her inside. On the tv a scene was unfolding, Sokovian civilians were fleeing the city as Ultron bots were attacking. She caught glimpses of Captain Rogers and Barton fighting the bots as two clearly superpowered strangers were protecting civilians as they fled. Annie's jaw dropped and she grabbed onto Alex as she fell to her knees. Part of the city began to rise into the air and in the shaky footage Ultron could be heard talking about his plans. She saw Tony flying around the rising mass and knew all the others would be on it. They are all going to die. At least I won't have to live through another heartbreak. Ultron is going to end the world.

Annie knelt on the floor watching the horrors unfold. She heard her phone ring but couldn't move her body. After several missed calls Alex finally took the phone and walked away to answer it. Annie could hear Alex in the other room talking quietly but she couldn't take her eyes off the screen. The city continued to rise as footage cut back and forth of shaky cellphone videos. She saw them all. Tony, Thor, Sam and a stranger flying through the air catching vehicles and fighting bots. The others doing the same on the ground, even the Hulk. She watched as Ultron grabbed Thor flying him off camera while Captain Rogers and Nat kept fighting. The camera cut to officers who had made a blockade shooting at bots before a blue blur crossed the screen. The two super powered individuals from earlier stepping up. The blonde man set down a small brunette woman who began to blast apart the bots with a strange red energy. The man began to run again as one of the officers shot, accidentally hitting him. He looked back at the officer more annoyed than hurt before the feed jumped away. Finally Annie caught a quick glimpse of Bucky, battered but fighting, as he joined Nat and Captain Rogers.

After a few more minutes the footage shifted to only shots from the ground watching the city rise higher and higher, Tony circling underneath. "Annie, your dad really wants to talk to you." Alex said as she held the phone out but Annie just pushed it away, tears streaming silently down her face. As the footage began to pan out, the city too high to be seen behind the clouds, a large skyship came into view rising up to join Sokovia. Annie snatched the phone from Alex. Hill, you little liar.

Early April 2015

The following weeks were mayhem. Tony opened up the compound for Maria and Fury to use as a training facility for the new version of SHIELD and plans for construction on new barracks for agents were made up. Sam, Rhodey, the two super powered humans and the flying stranger would be coming to live in the main building's quarters and Barton was officially retiring. Annie had flown back to New York the day after Sokovia and got to work prepping rooms, coordinating with Maria about construction plans and access, and answering a LOT of phone calls. The relief she felt a few days later when everyone arrived far outweighed the tiredness she felt from the never ending to-do list. All the rooms were ready and the table was filled with food as the Avengers, new and old, began to file in.

"Oh, Red, you are a godsend." Tony said as he hugged her. "I am famished, you know what, you deserve a raise. What am I paying you these days anyways? Actually I don't care, double it, seeing as I just doubled the occupancy."

He continued to ramble grabbing a plate as she greeted the others with warm smiles hugging Sam and Bucky as she called over to Tony. "You pay me more than plenty already Stark, just eat."

As he hugged her Bucky whispered in her ear. "We'll have a nice reunion later, Sweetheart, but right now I'm starving." He winked as he walked away and Captain Rogers came forward and began to introduce the newcomers.

"Annie, I'm sure Hill gave you the rundown but let me introduce the new recruits. This is Vision, and Wanda and Pietro Maximoff." Annie welcomed them just as she had Bucky months ago, sticking hand out to each of them in turn with a smile plastered on her face.

"Hi, I'm Annie. It's a pleasure to meet you all." Vision and Wanda both took her hand tentatively with polite nods, saying nothing.

The blonde man, Pietro, took her hand firmly and looked her up and down with a cocky grin as he said, "Oh no, the pleasure is all mine."