15. Chapter Fifteen.

Start from the beginning

"So tell me, why should I let you stay here and continue to put others at risk? Give me one good reason why you deserve to be trusted with anything important." As I waited for their response, my mind raced with all the possible arguments they could make.

But deep down, I knew that there was no excuse for their behavior. They had failed, plain and simple, and it was up to them to make things right.

"Avevamo pensato che siccome Sofia non sarebbe arrivata per le prossime ore potessimo uscire e lei sarebbe stata al sicuro visto che avevi avvertito tutti di non toccarla." Aggiunto Ricco.

(We had thought that because Sofia wasn't arriving for the next few hours we could go out and she'd be safe since you warned everyone not to touch her.)

"Non credevamo che se ne sarebbe andata o che le sarebbe successo qualcosa quando sarebbe tornata. È stato un errore onesto e non accadrà mai più."

(We didn't believe she would've been gone or something would've happened to her by the time she came back. It was a honest mistake and it won't ever happen again.)

"What is your best guess as to her whereabouts? What if something bad happened to Rena? That poor defenseless, helpless, and confused girl? Even the basics of self-defense are beyond her." Nico's response was unduly concerned.

"Even in self-defense, she lacks the knowledge." Rico added with concern.

I felt alarmed by their excessive concern about Rena. They came here to safeguard, not to develop a romantic attachment to or be duped by someone they were supposed to be protecting.

"Spero sinceramente che tu non sviluppi un attaccamento sentimentale alla donna che dovresti semplicemente difendere. Come affermato in precedenza, le tue emozioni e il tuo lavoro non dovrebbero essere mescolati insieme. Prima di perdere veramente, potrebbe essere prudente prendere le distanze dalla situazione."

(I sincerely hope you do not develop a sentimental attachment to the female you are simply supposed to defend. As previously stated, your emotions and work should not be mixed together. Before you truly lose, it might be prudent to distance yourself from the situation.)

I kept listening to both of my younger brothers ask for forgiveness and assistance in finding Rena, but before I could chastise them, I heard movement inside my room because the door was partially open.

"Is Rena inside your room?" They both tried peering behind me.

"We will continue this conversation tomorrow, get back to your rooms now, I will let you know when I have found her." I instructed for them waiting for them to leave before going back inside my room to find Rena standing inside the room dressed in my t-shirt while sleepily rubbing her eyes.

"Dimitri?" Rena asked, repeatedly blinking in an effort to clear her sleepy eyes.

"Why are you awake, Rena? Is it that your in need of more intimate time?" I teased her watching her eyes widen.

She looked pretty damn good in my shirt, and I noticed how her tiny yet amusingly gratifying physique tempted me to offer her a few kisses as I stood in front of her.

Rena pouted as she sleepily glance up at me with a pout. Leaning downwards I lifted her up into my arms.

"Where are you taking me?" She questioned curiously glancing up at me.

"Back to your room."

"I-is it because of Sofia?" She murmured resting her head against my chest.

"I believe that being in your domain will make you much safer."

"A-are you...." Rena stopped, her eyes closing shut once again as she had completely fallen back to sleep comfortably in my arms.

I carefully positioned her on the bed after entering her room and then moved toward the door to seal it once she was inside, but the abrupt noise from behind me made me halt.

After turning around, I discovered Rena sitting up in bed and dazedly attempting to stand. "I-I don't want to stay in here alone," Rena spoke uneasily.

"You don't need to be worried, Rena; I'll have my brothers stand watch outside your door." I tried to soothe her by telling her, but Rena simply disregarded my words.

I'll need to speak with the twins about not scaring Rena to death about that specific name she mentioned.

"I will come with you." Rena stated sleepily.

I grimaced as I approached her and tugged at her hand, imploring her to lay down in bed so I could climb into her bed and put her to sleep. She came into my arms right away and cuddled up while sighing softly. A short while later, I could hear her faint breathing, which indicated that she had dozed off.

How effortlessly Rena snuggled in my arms and clung, as if she no longer regarded me as a dangerous mafia man and as a threat.

Was she a foolish girl for seeking comfort in the arm of a monstrous mafia man rather than being afraid of him?

I took a deep breath in; her alluring aroma made her one of the most innocent temptresses I had ever encountered.

But it was obvious that Rena had no place in my deadly world, and I had to do everything in my power to keep her away from me.

But there was one thing, however, I was unable to answer for myself: Would I allow her to leave when the time comes?