Chapter 20

Alexander's POV-

"What promise?" Reese asked. I looked down and slumped against the wall.

"The promise she made to Miss Nancy..." I started, trailing off. They urged me to go on.

"She made us promise...if something bad happened to her...we wouldn't hurt ourselves. That was the last promise we made her before she...d-died," I said, my voice cracking at the end. They looked at Ari's door, finally understanding.

"Why?" Mike asked. We all looked at him, appalled.

"Why?" I asked, mimicking him. He backed up a little.

"Maybe because she wants to cancel out the mental pain...her body's way of stopping her thoughts!" I yelled, coming closer to him.

"So, why?" I asked. He looked at me fearfully with wide-eyes. Brian put a hand on my shoulder.

"Have...have you cut?" He asked. I laughed.

"No...I throw knives. It doesn't work for Ari though...I don't know why. I guess...I don't know to be honest," I said, exhaling loudly. We heard a blood-curdling scream. A scream we hadn’t heard in ten years. That scream came from Ari.

Ariana's POV-

We were all laughing, having fun. That day. The day that we had to move.

"Kids! Let's go!" Miss Nancy exclaimed, pushing the door open.

"Race you!" Alex and I said in unison to the triplets. They know all about Chris and Zane.

"We hate you,"

"We'll never race you,"

"I regret being your friend!"

"I hate you! You're a terrible twin!"

"A terrible person!"

"You're so fat!"

"Die!"

"Nobody wants you!"

"We hate you!"

"I wish I had a better twin..."

I froze. Everything froze. I screamed. I can't take this.

"Ari! Wake up! We're here!" A voice called out. I shot up.

"Shhh, shh, we're here...don't worry," Alex said, pulling me into his embrace. I didn't cry. I hugged him back though.

"Do you want a better twin?" I whispered. He stopped breathing for a second.

"What?" He asked. I rolled my eyes.

"Do you want a better twin?" I asked again. He took a deep breath.

"No...Ari...what would make you think that?" He asked. I looked at him with teary eyes.

"I...had a dream. It was like a flashback...but everything was twisted. Like...every person that I loved...said what I thought they'd say. What I...think of myself," I whispered. I was silently crying. I just noticed the rest of my brothers there.

"Please don't hate me," I whispered to them. They pulled Alex and I into a group hug.

"We could never hate you, Ari," Mike comforted.

"Never, Ari," Reese also said. Brian looked at me confused.

"What do you think of yourself?" He asked. My eyes widened and they all went silent. I was hoping no one would ask. There's no point in lying. Maybe they can help me.