Chapter 85 - Fear - A Powerful Motivator and Deterrent

Start from the beginning

Daichi sat down and gently petted Akamaru who was lying near him. "Yes it's true. The Hokage asked me if I wanted to jump ahead and skip a year. But I didn't take the offer..."

Daichi took a moment before he continued. "I didn't lie, you know. Aside from you guys I don't have anyone here I can call my friends. If I had skipped a grade then I'd be kind of lonely and I would have to make some new friends all over again and in your words... That would be such a drag... But as you've probably guessed, that's not the whole reason I stayed."

Daichi looked at everyone and he turned serious. "The reason I stayed is to buy some time for myself. The moment I put on the leaf headband I'd be walking into danger on every single mission. If I'm not prepared, then there is a great possibility that I could die. Being strong here in the academy doesn't mean much out in the real world. So I need as much time as I can get before I start on that dangerous path... That's why I stayed."

"Yeesh, you're being too grim Daichi. You're going to be fine. We all are." Naruto said with a slight smile.

Daichi looked at Naruto with a complicated expression. There were many things he wanted to say to the blonde boy but he refrained from speaking them. Instead he wanted to see if he could get Naruto to understand the dangers of the world and start taking his training more seriously.

"Itachi Uchiha massacred the entire Uchiha clan except Sasuke in a single night. Nobody thought something like that could happen. Someone killing scores of people inside the village and then getting away with it. So what makes you so sure that we'd be safe outside the protection of these walls."

Naruto's smile dimmed and he didn't have an answer for that.

"The first Hokage created this village to stop conflicts but instead it created great wars. 3 of them have already ravaged the lands and people. And there will be a fourth one in our lifetime. Not to mention the countless dangerous missions we'd be going on after we become genin... If we're not prepared we will die. Or we'll have to watch the people we care about bleed to death in our arms. I'm going to make sure I'm ready to face those days when they come."

Daichi's speech turned the mood solemn. Shikamaru looked at Daichi and then sat down without saying a word. Seeing that he spoiled their mood for lunch, Daichi decided to take a walk.

"I'm gonna head to the library. Need to check some things out."

Daichi walked away before anyone could say anything. He thought about the things he said. 'It's true. The Rasengan wasn't the only thing that affected my decision to stay. I need to make sure I'm as strong as possible when I become a genin. I still have much to learn. Most of my choices since I was reborn here are because of my fear. My greatest fear. Fear of death. I know it's inevitable but... I don't want to die before my time like...'

Daichi let out a long sigh. He didn't want to remember the final day of his past life.

As Daichi turned around a corner he saw Hibachi with his two friends. Daichi narrowed his eyes as he saw the class bully laughing without a care.

There was no one around and Daichi made a choice. He walked towards them.

One of Hibachi's friends saw Daichi coming and pointed to him.

"Daichi!? W-what do you want?" Hibachi asked him in a nervous tone.

Daichi didn't say a word to him. Instead he looked to the other two near him. Daichi released a bit of killing intent. Even though it was only a fraction the three became terrified.

"I'm only gonna say this once. Get lost." Daichi looked at the two and spoke.

Without wasting time Hibachi's two friends scrambled from the place.