Chapter 75 - Half Truths

Kensei couldn't believe Daichi was involved in something so dangerous. The next second he looked around the house and then back to Daichi. "Based on the fact that Anbu hasn't surrounded this place and you're not in an interrogation room right now, I'm guessing the village doesn't know you were there?"

Daichi shook his head.

Kensei let out a sigh of relief. "Good! Then we need to keep it that way."

"Gramps! There's something else." Daichi began in a somewhat apprehensive tone.

"What is it?"

"The Hokage or the village officials don't know about me but one person does.... Aiko."

"What?... How?"

"I saved Ren's daughter and took her to the orphanage." Daichi replied. He needed to make sure Kensei would convince Aiko to keep everything that happened a secret.

Daichi thought long and hard for the whole day about what and how much he would say to his grandfather. And after several hours he decided to tell the truth, mix a few lies and omit some information.

'What the heck happened while I was gone?... If Aiko knows then I need to speak with her before she reports to the Hokage.' Kensei closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose. He let out several breaths and then calmed down.

"You need to tell me everything that happened. I need to know all the information so I can do damage control."

Daichi nodded and began retelling his tale with a bit of a twist. He made sure to keep his chakra calm and had to make sure there were no holes in his story.

.

.

.

.

"And then I left the orphanage and headed straight here. I dispelled my clone and made sure everything was fine. Then I just went to bed." Daichi finished his explanation.

Kensei let out a breath as he looked at the boy. He let out a sigh as he thought about the events.

"So let me get this straight... After your training, on your way back, when you got near the Uchiha clan compound you saw a dead body and you went to call for the police force, but then you saw more bodies on the street?"

"Yes." Daichi gave a curt reply.

"Then you decided to head for Ren's home to tell him what happened?"

Daichi nodded.

Kensei sighed. He continued with the questioning.

"There, you saw Ren packing and making preparations to leave the village."

Daichi nodded again. "I told him someone was killing people in the clan and then he checked the chakra of everyone in the compound." He once again explained to his grandfather.

"And this was when he sensed what was happening and told you about the supposed coup and their decision to leave the village?!" Daichi nodded to the question.

Kensei couldn't believe the Uchiha would decide to do something this drastic.

'It should have been obvious in hindsight. The tension has been rising between the villagers and the Uchiha clan members. Still... To think they would plan a coup d'etat. Did they seriously expect to take on the village and win?'

Kensei then looked at his grandson and continued. "Then you convinced Ren and his wife to hand you their daughter with the promise of keeping her safe."