Chapter- 31 | "Hunted"

[Hey Lads and Lasses! Someone sent me this, asking if this is what Will looked like early on.
Yes, yes he did.]

[- Pringles out!]

"It's been three hours! Find that bastard so I can personally tear him a new one!" Ordered Thalia.

The hunters were spread out, thoroughly searching every tree, bush, and pile of fallen leaves around the nearby area. Well, almost. Artemis strolled through her many annoyed hunters and sat herself upon a fallen log. She let out a deep breath.

"You can't hide from them forever." She muttered barely audibly.

I quietly spoke up from my hiding spot, knowing she knew already. I was under a layer of leafs just behind the log. I had found a small depression in the ground, allowing me to cover my body without leaving an obvious mound.

"Aye, but I can try for a good bit."

I could practically hear her roll her eyes. "It won't be long until they get the wolves out."

"Won't be a problem Lady Artemis."

She stood up and walked off, muttering something about "stupid males".

[Previously on "main character suffering". Aka a Flashback]

I raise my hands, praying that I won't be turned into a pin cushion.

"Now let's talk about this..." I try negotiate.

"Oh I see nothing to talk about." Thalia retorted, aiming her spear at me.

"Milady, who is this male?" Asked one of the new recruits, the many of which a bit confused.

Artemis' face showed no emotion, but I could tell she was analysing me.

"This is William Forest, one of the very few males to escape our grasp and a mortal nonetheless."

"He also attacked and stole from us after we saved him." Came the voice of Helen, causing the hunters that has lowered their bows to raise them again.

I struggled to think of something to say, anything that'd stop me being target practice. I opened my mouth to speak.

"No!" Cried a voice that wasn't my own.

It was Isla, her and Chelsea stepping infront of me.

The other hunters seemed as, if not more, confused than I was. "You two move out the way of that male!"

"Not wanting to agree with the lot wanting to kill me, but yous don't have to do this." I added.

The two remained vigilant as, to my surprise, a third joined them and stood before me. Janina, her arms spread, and a determined look on her face. Apollos light must have been playing tricks, as I thought I had seen a slight glow above her head.

(Yes, I did-...... No, Janina, I know we're aware what-..... I'm not gonna say wh-...... 'cause then it'd spoil the-..... I'd tell you to shut it, but... you know... yeah, sorry)

The standoff didn't last long as Artemis dashed towards us. I froze, thinking she was about to castrate me right there. Thankfully, she didn't, as she had stopped in-front of Janina and was holding her face, looking concerned.

"Um... milady?" Ginger spoke up, confused as the rest of us.

"She's been scratched!" Artemis announced, worried. Upon hearing this, the more she left hunters drew their bows again, this time aiming as Janina.

"Um... s'only a scratch reet? Not like she was bitten" I asked cautiously, not wanting the bows to return to pointing at me.

Artemis shook her head. "While that is true for other werewolves, Lycaon is the original, his curse more potent, this means any wound he inflicts that draws blood can spread the curse to the victim."

Silence hung as the rest of us realised what that meant. Which was rudely interrupted b-

"We should put her down, end her suffering before it starts." Proclaimed Helen, aiming a silver arrow for Janinas head.

"NO!" The voice, feminine, outraged. In my own outrage I paid no heed.

"Oh hades nah! I ain't ganna let ya do that!" I protested.

"What's it to you male?"

"I'm still guardian, and I will protect my charges even from eachother. So how about we check if she's actually cursed before we talk "putting down" okay?"

She glared at me while Artemis nodded. "All right then. Apollo!" She called.

There was a bright flash of warm light. For a second I thought that Hestia had arrived, but I remembered that Hestia doesn't like to make an entrance.

Then I remembered that Artemis did just call for Apollo. (Stop laughing you lot, I'm not an idiot)

The dramatic light faded allowing us to see again, Apollo standing there looking like a surfer-bloke version of Johnny Cage.

"Hey ladies, how are you doing?" he then looks over and sees me. "Will! Nice to see you again so soon, finally revealed yourself have you? Damn.
I had a bet with Herm-"

"Apollo! Focus!" Shouted Artemis, annoyed with her brother as usual.

"Yeah yeah, whatcha need me for lil sis?" He grinned.

"Lycaon scratch" she said simply, pointing at Janina.

His smile dropped. "Oh. Bummer." He walked over to her and inspected the wound. After a minute he lifted his shades, squinted, and looked her up and down.

"Well?" The goddess asked.

"perfectly fine, not a trace of lycanthropy in her system." he replied.

There was a group sigh of relief.

"So, need anymore help or..?" Apollo asked.

Artemis shook her head. "We can handle the other injuries ourselves Apollo."

"Alrighty. Bye girls!" He turned back around my group. "See you around, angel. And you too Will. I'll keep your ward prepped." He said with his usual grin before vanishing in sunlight.

"So.... that was my dad?" Isla asked.

I nodded. "Aye, but don't let his daftness fool ya, he's quite down-to-earth when needed."

The eleven-year-old giggled. "No it's ok, he's funny."

I smiled back before turning towards the other hunters. "Reet then, time for some Q&A?"

[Le Flashback le over]

I managed to explain and answer their questions without being shot at more than twice. Of course they still weren't satisfied so I agreed to a hunt.

On me.

I looked around and didn't need my aura-vision to see the rising frustration of the hunters. Some had given up and were now sitting in the low branches of one of the larger trees. I saw Helen crouched by a pile of leaves, leaning close trying to determine if it was actually a pile of leaves. I had to hold in laughter as I slightly waved my hand creating a burst of flames infront of her, causing her to recoil and fall flat on her butt, likely singeing her hair.

This got a few snickers out of those in the tree. Helen stood up, red-faced from either anger or embarrassment. "That's it! I'm getting the wolves!" She stormed off.

A minute later I heard howls and sighed.

"bring it." I muttered to myself.

[Hey Lands and Lasses! Sorry for taking long, Uni life is a bit distracting and all. Thank you for 1k votes!!! I'm limping my way through writing this despite having the next, like, 6 chapters planned😂. It's just expanding the bullet points that takes time. And speaking of time, until the next one!]

[- Pringles out!]

[Also I hope y'all like the new cover art I made😊]