Chapter 180 | Hail Mary

The beast lingered at the edge of the conflict, strategically positioning itself behind the monstrous ranks of his army of youmas to remain unseen. As the dynamics of the battle shifted with the warrior's growing powers, the beast watched intently, analyzing every move and countermove.

The battle reached a fever pitch as Cid, with a fierce determination in his eyes, charged towards the boy who was making his way to him. His weapon was poised for a lethal strike, but Matthew was unfazed. In a swift, calculated motion, he extended his hand towards Cid. A surge of energy emanated from his palm, unleashing a devastating blast that targeted Cid's legs with surgical precision. The force of the blast was immense, instantly breaking bones and tearing through muscles, leaving Cid to fall to the ground, writhing in excruciating pain.

The Sorcerer had not predicted the strength that he had wielded, when his screams of pain echoed across the battlefield, with a fluid and controlled motion, Matthew manipulated the blade in his hand, allowing it to rotate slowly as if suspended by an unseen force. Then, with a firm grip, he repositioned the blade and, with a decisive thrust, drove it down into Cid's stomach with both hands firmly on the hilt. The act was carried out with precision, reflecting Matthew's unwavering determination and his detachment from the suffering he inflicted.

Leaving his sword embedded in Cid's abdomen, Matthew walked away, leaving the sorcerer to writhe in agony on the ground. With a casual gesture at his waist, he summoned another sword into his hand, signaling that more destruction was imminent. In Matthew's mind, the man would suffer a fate worse than death. He would be forced to endure the sight of the massacre that was about to unleash upon them.

As Matthew closed the gap between himself and Eko, he was met with a relentless onslaught of youmas and monsters. Each one that dared to confront him was swiftly slain, their bodies becoming mere stepping stones under his feet. Upon reaching the pulsating aura of magic that held Eko bound to the ground, Matthew's powers surged, effectively dispelling the intensity of the spell. The magic that had once constrained Eko rippled outwards before dissipating into mere wisps, freeing her from its grasp.

The weight that had crushed her body and spirit started to relent, granting her a moment of reprieve. With newfound strength, Eko lifted her head, her lungs expanding as she took in a much-needed deep breath. The air felt like a balm to her weary soul.

As her vision cleared, Eko's gaze fell upon Matthew, who stood protectively before her. Despite the chaos that had unfolded around them, there was a sense of calm in his presence. He bore the marks of battle—bumps and bruises marring his skin, a few wounds that had yet to be tended to.

As Matthew's arms enveloped her, lifting her gently to her feet, Eko was overwhelmed by emotions she hadn't expected to feel again. His familiar scent of clean laundry and sweet honey filled her senses. She could feel his heart beating steadily against her chest, a rhythm that seemed to echo her own. His embrace was so tight, as if he were trying to piece her back together, bone by bone. In his presence, Eko's heart melted; she felt a warmth spreading through her.

Matthew's hand shifted to Eko's abdomen, and she felt the chilling sensation of the blade as it was carefully withdrawn. In her weakened state, she heard the metallic clang of the steel hitting the ground. His hand then gently covered her stomach, a warm glow emanating from his palm as he began to heal the wound.

Eko's brows knitted together in confusion as she felt the distinct change in his powers. They seemed to radiate and pulsate with a different intensity, enveloping them in an unfamiliar energy. A realization dawned on her, one she found hard to believe. Could he have? Would he dare?

She pushed down the memory, the conversations they had about the last crystal and the potential consequences of wielding its power. They had speculated on the changes it might bring to their bodies, but now, faced with the reality, Eko was filled with a mix of awe and apprehension.