Chapter 144 | December 24th | Christmas Eve ❤️

Timeline - December 24th | ( 12 Days later)

Eko took the final bite of the sandwich prepared by the cafeteria chefs that early afternoon. Toni and Richie had been her steadfast companions for most of the two weeks while Matthew and Jesse were on and off-world, with back-to-back official duties.

Throughout this period, she ensured that Jesse kept a close eye on Matthew for any signs of trouble with the new ICD. Despite Matthew's constant communication, the anxiety lingered in her bones, leaving her uncertain if it would ever truly dissipate. The realization struck her that she might never stop worrying about him, and the depth of her concern frightened her. It was unsettling to acknowledge just how much she cared about him.

As Eko stayed behind, Jasmine assumed extra responsibilities in Jesse's absence over the Christmas holidays. Meanwhile, Mya remained completely off the radar, deeply immersed in her doctoral studies, progressing into the final stages of her journey to become a graduating doctor for Allegiant.

To fill the time, Eko often joined either Toni, Richie, or Jasmine, sneaking out to address sporadic youma sightings and counter Isis's attacks on various parts of the towns on Earth. 

In unanimous agreement, the four of them vowed to keep their nighttime activities a secret from the two impulsive hotheads. Both Eko and Toni, more than anyone, knew that Jesse and Matthew would be in a ferocious mood if they found out, and they didn't want to dampen the festive spirit of the month that they were all enjoying.

Eventually, it led them to Christmas Eve. Jasmine and Eko had planned everything for that night, anticipating Matthew and Jesse's arrival home to celebrate as a family for Christmas Eve dinner in the office upstairs. With a few hours to kill before they had to get ready, Eko pushed the plate away, lost in thought about which lingerie piece she should wear under the Santa outfit she had bought. Toni, who had been mumbling about some reports, caught her attention as his eyes scanned over the documents.

"Toni," Eko tilted her head, bringing the man's curious gaze to the brunette in front of him, "do you think a Christmas tree would be too much?" She contemplated whether that might be the missing piece to complete the whole setup.

"We have trees everywhere in here, Eko." Toni chuckled, glancing around at the overly decorated cafeteria. "We all know Jasmine went overboard with festivities this year considering everything that had happened."

That's when he pointed to the Christmas dress alone in the cafeteria, beautifully decorated with a tall white one that Jesse insisted on having. While Jasmine favored the green ones, Toni knew that she would win the argument when she got into a screaming match with Jasmine over the color of the trees, for Jesse loved the white Christmas trees.

He also knew that it reminded her of home, where it would be snowing at this time of the year, unlike the warm comfortable weather they were currently enjoying.

"Oh, I know," she giggled, waving him off. "But like, for our own place and everything. There's no Christmas tree in the office. Wait... does he celebrate it at all? I haven't had the chance to ask him. He's been kinda comatose when he comes home."

"Matthew does," Toni laughed at their fond memories, "we usually have a Christmas midnight mass between us after the festivities in the main hall. Vodka, Whisky, and everything we are thankful for. Can usually see the fireworks from up at skydeck, so it's kind of tradition for us."

Eko nodded, aware that the main festivities were downstairs, but there was also a private celebration planned for the seven of them later that night. The chefs had everything prepared. While she eagerly anticipated Matthew's return at six before the Allegiant party kicked off at six-thirty, the prospect of the evening's events prompted her to reveal a secret she had never even told Matthew before. "I've never actually celebrated Christmas. Not as an adult at least."