Chapter 177 | The World Has Turned And Left Me Here

As Eric arrived at the Isadora moments too late, his focus pulled away from his intended destination of Allegiant. Suddenly, he sensed a palpable shift in the balance of power, and before he could react, he was thrust into the heart of the chaos enveloping the once-vibrant city.

The elder's heart pounded in his chest, and his mind raced in a frenzy as he grappled with the aftermath of the ambush on their plains. He felt the weight of responsibility pressing down on him, knowing that his kind teetered on the edge of extinction. The once tranquil world around him now lay in chaos, mirroring the turmoil within him.

As he surveyed the scene, the devastation of the senseless attacks became painfully evident. Buildings lay in ruins, some collapsed under the ferocity of the assault, while others smoldered with flames, casting an eerie glow against the darkened sky. Smoke billowed upwards, staining the heavens with ominous shades of red and black.

His honey-brown eyes scanned the surroundings, taking in the chaos, and he felt a momentary relief wash over him as he spotted the warriors still alive in the distance.

Quickly assessing the situation, even amidst the panic and chaos, Eric counted the figures before him. Yet, his heart sank as he realized he couldn't see Eko, and his concern deepened when he noticed Matthew on his knees, staring blankly into the distance while Toni knelt before him, attempting to reason with him.

Instantly fearing the worst, Eric's surprise peaked when he witnessed the mage, whom he had received word about late last night, now screaming at Jesse and Richie, who were desperately trying to calm him down.

Mya carefully assessed Jasmine's scorched arm as they spoke hurriedly, exchanging words in hushed tones. Their conversation was punctuated by frantic gestures towards the city and the soldiers, as well as the Allegiant ships flying overhead and landing in the distance.

***** *****

"We need to go after her!" Vause's urgency reverberated through the deafening silence, his cries relentless in the need to save Teshia. "What are we doing standing here? They're going to kill her!"

"Matthew?" Toni's voice was firm, digging his knees in deeper as he addressed his best friend. "This is no time for you to fucking shut down. What's the plan?"

"Sound them all," suddenly Matthew's steel blue eyes snapped to Toni's, no longer lost in oblivion but filled with determination. His words dripped with venom. "Sound them all for war."

"Oh, fuck," Toni exhaled, his words echoing through the tense air, capturing the attention of the warriors who had hesitated, exchanging anxious glances before turning their gaze to the man on bended knees.

"Matthew," Jesse stepped forward, separating herself from Vause, her expression reflecting her unease.

Matthew however wanted no bar. He tightened his grip on his sword and pushed himself up from the floor, his black collared shirt and suit pants in disarray, torn and ripped from the battle. Debris and ash clung to him, accentuating the fury swirling within him.

"I'll bring them to their fucking knees," Matthew's voice was sharp, teeth gritted with determination as he locked eyes with each of his warriors.

Toni stood up beside Matthew, surveying the warriors before them. Each one nodded in understanding, aware of what Matthew wanted, a stance he had opposed for months and had clashed with Eko over repeatedly. He was determined to unleash holy hell upon their enemy.

"Go. Sound the academies, all for war. Go!" Matthew's voice was a snarl directed at his soldiers. Everyone except Vause and Toni vanished, knowing their duty and what needed to be done.