Chapter 69- The Talk Before The War

()= Thinking/ Replacing

*= Action

/= Whispers

""= Phone

--= Narrator

~~= Timeskip

Darren POV:

I just sat in my room fidgeting with my fingers while Yuko and Lucas just sat next to me contemplating.

Yuko: Was that the best decision? To kill your clone like that.

Darren: No idea. But I'm not exactly sure either.

Lucas: Are you sure that we won't help Shido Itsuka? Has your hatred taken you over that you despised him to the point where if Kurumi died. You wouldn't blink?

My hands gripped into a fist while I just stared at Lucas who wasn't intimidated and just stared back at me.

Darren: Of course not!

Lucas: Then, is really giving him that information that bad? I know what happened to you. I was there, I saw how you were swallowed by hatred and wished for nothing but Shido's death and Kurumi's as well.

Yuko: If you won't participate in this war, then it's ok. I don't want to participate anyways. But, I just think that you went too far on this.

Darren: I-

No words was able to come out of my throat, instead I just stared at the ground while swallowing my spit. Lucas and Yuko just stared at me while I said nothing.

Darren: I don't regret anything I did. But, I won't say sorry to Shido anyways. I'm not getting involved in his war. If Kurumi is to be involved. I will save her if necessary, but for me to make any combat contribution is impossible.

Suddenly, my phone started ringing. It was from Shido. My hands almost crushed the phone had I not restrained myself in time.

Shido: "Hey..."

Darren: "Yo, is there anything that you want from me? Shido Itsuka?"

Shido: "I just want to discuss over some battle plans with you."

Darren: "Only if you allow Lucas to borrow Yoshino's powers then I will come over."

Shido: "It's alright then... I don't mind... If it's what it takes to get you to help us"

Darren: (His voice is filled with anxiety and fear. If this really how he feels before war?)

Darren: "Fine. I'll come over."

I teleported over to Shido's house with him already sitting at the living room presumably just waiting for me.

Shido: Hey...

Darren: Yo...

Shido: I know about that trace on ability you have. I presume that you already traced her angel but was just waiting for the green light to be able to use it.

Darren: Yeah...

Shido: She said that it was okay for you to use it. Try it.

I held out my hand as ice sprouted from my hand.

Shido: Hey, I'm sorry. For how much pain I caused you.

Darren: You know, huh...

Shido: I'm sorry... I was being selfish and I heard from Lucas and Yuko how selfish I was, to steal Kurumi from you... just for the sake of sealing her Angel. Please forgive me.

He knelt down in a dogeza towards me, in this moment I had no idea what to do. I was just here hoping to discuss some battle strategy. But Shido, decided to dogeza towards me and begged me to forgive him of everything that he ever did.

Darren: Shido, raise your head.

He raised his head but was still looking down presumably crying.

Shido: Please help us. If it's you, we can surely win against DEM! If you help us. We can surely win this war. The enemy is after your life as well.

Darren: I-

Tohka: Shido, Darren?

I turned around and saw Tohka standing by the doorway. I just sighed while Tohka walked towards me.

Tohka: Shido, allow him to trace my angel.

Shido: What?

Tohka: I know about your ability. I know that you haven't traced my Angel, Sandalphon.

Darren: So you knew...

Tohka: Your powers are Duos Angel. You have the angels of Kurumi Tokisaki and Mukuro Hoshimiya right?

Darren: Was it because Shido told you?

Tohka: Yeah.

Shido: I presume that Kurumi also showed you her past.

Darren: Of course.

Everyone has started to tense up. It can't be helped. After all the day after tomorrow... no, the date was changed, so tomorrow is the decisive battle against DEM. Being tense should be taken for granted.

Darren: It's alright. Because Ratatoskr would surely help you survive. I should l-

Tohka suddenly grasped onto my sleeves as she began to cry.

Tohka: Please help us in this war...

Shido: Please allow us to help Kurumi! I...have to save Kurumi. It's my responsibility after being saved by Kurumi countless times. However, what I think as salvation can it really be consider the same for Kurumi? ...Honestly, I don't really know.

Darren: Salvation can be different for everyone, but. Kurumi's salvation is different than yours. I can't help you in this war.

Tohka: I'll offer you a trade.

Darren: What trade?

Tohka: I'll allow you to trace my angel and be able to use it but in return you have to help us in the war.

Darren: (This isn't a bad trade. But, DEM is not someone I want to fight.)

Darren: Give me the angel first then I will think about it.

Although Kurumi wanted to keep the replenishment to a level where people won't die, she couldn't make fine adjustments for everyone. As a result, the elderly and ill with not much life remaining might have already gone to heaven. Perhaps, Kurumi may have robbed them of their last moments which they could have spent with family, lovers, friends──the people that they love.

Darren: This isn't a game that we are playing. This is war.

However. No. it was precisely because of that Kurumi couldn't stop now. Returning back to 30 years ago and return everything back to nothing. That way, everything that Kurumi had done in both the present and past will have never happened.

Darren: I will consider it after the trade of the angel.

Tohka: Fine...

I placed my hand on her forehead as information about Sandalphon filled my brain with it's abilities and techniques to use it. I retracted my hand back towards my pocket while my right hand summoned the sword. My purpose was to help Kurumi in this war. Before that purpose, everything else is trivial. Kurumi continued to withdraw into her shadow. Her posture resembled a nun praying to God. A prayer for forgiveness an unspoken utterance lost in the silence.

Darren: (I am no god, I am no one but a failure. But this is why, I must use my powers to the best of my capabilities to help the ones I love. If I can't be a god of saviour to everyone else. Then I will be a saviour to every I love.)

Darren: I'll think about it. But, you will have my consideration.

I slowly walked away from the living room while teleporting back to my own house where I handed Lucas the powers of Yoshino and headed back towards my room just waiting for the day of the war to come.