ONE. running

Running

Running.

That's all we've been doing for the last three weeks.

Just running.

Running from the people who killed our family. Who left us as orphans.

My little brother Auggie and I have been running from hunters who have been after our kind for centuries. My family has been hiding for years, and they haven't found us, but something happened, and they found us.

Let me take you back to 3 weeks ago; my little brother wanted to walk around the forest our house was in. There was a lake nearby that we both loved to hang out by. We were there for hours, and it wasn't until I heard Auggie's stomach grumble in hunger that I realized how long we had been out there.

"Come on, Auggie. Let's head back home and get some food in you before your stomach decides to eat itself."

My brother laughed at me and my silly comment, "That's not true, is it?"

"I don't know, but we do have to go. Come on."

I take his hand as I stand, and we begin our journey home. As we walked closer and closer back home, we heard the screams for help. Auggie and I look at each other with concerned looks for our family, then take off running toward what we have called home for the past few years. When we come upon our home, we see it engulfed in flames.

I didn't know what to do. I just stood there frozen in horror at the place I called home was being destroyed. Then, after realizing what was happening in front of me, I jumped into action to try and save my family.

"Auggie, I need you to stay right here. Okay, don't go near the fire. I'm gonna see if anyone got out around the house."

"But-"

I cut him off, "Stay here. I promise I'll be right back."

"Okay." He looks at me with tears running down his face. I had to put on a brave face for him even though I was terrified at what I might see and if my family was okay.

I ran to the side of the house that held the front door to see if I could get in, but it was covered in flames. It wasn't until I heard voices and looked to my left and saw hands sticking out of a small basement window that I rushed to it to see who was there.