Coming to Accord

43 days ago...

Steve was on the last hour of his mining at a plentiful coal vein, when he felt it. He paused, his pickaxe still raised.

He was here again.

Steve frowned. No, he wasn't afraid. Maybe apprehensive? His twin seemed to be in a sour and gloomy mood this time, he could just tell. He didn't know how he knew this. Before, he used to think that it was only his imagination. Now, he was almost certain of this. Perhaps he gained this ability because Herobrine marked him somehow and wanted him to know whenever he arrived, to add to Steve's fearful anticipation?

Still, the last several times Steve felt Herobrine return, the powerful being did not even approach Steve, nor cause any mayhem, unlike in the first few months after their first encounter in the mansion. Steve glimpsed him in the distance, but his twin left again as quietly as he had arrived.

Steve remembered feeling true dread whenever he got this feeling before, in those first few months. His stomach would sink and he would immediately cease doing what he was doing and run home as fast as he could. If he managed to reach his cabin in time, then his twin would not bother him as much. His white-eyed endermen might hover by the house windows and a few zombies might knock on his doors, making Steve flinch each time as the rickety wood would jump.

He would not dare show his nose outside until morning came, unable to sleep well because of the nightmares of the white-eyed fiend chasing after him to slaughter him again and again, or have his monsters tear him apart.

Nothing like that happened in reality, of course. Even if Steve got caught out in the open when his twin would show up, their interactions would usually amount to mobs chasing Steve and perhaps a few mean tricks meant to scare him. It amused Herobrine to see Steve's panicked reactions.

Beyond that time in the mansion, however, Herobrine in real life never harmed him. Only one time, about three weeks after Steve's misfortunate trip to the mansion, his twin once lost self-control.

Steve could still remember steely grip that suddenly yanked him off his feet while he had gone out to feed his animals. It had been terrifying, because he didn't expect it, not connecting the strange feeling he woke up with, with the being's presence. Lifted in the air, Steve uselessly tried to scratch at the unyielding fingers that squeezed his throat, making him gasp for air as he flailed and kicked.

He had been thrown back, slamming against the side of his barn, to find his twin looming over him with a sneer, which became a frown at the sight of fear on Steve's face.

"Still pretending?" His twin demanded, scowling, but quieted when Steve only blinked up at him with confusion. Then, he smirked again with a malicious, cruel mirth, which made Steve's heart sink in ill foreboding. "Let's see how long you can keep that up."

The being murmured in low tone before turning away and vanishing. Shaken, Steve remained where he was for several long moments, yet, before managing to pull himself up to his feet and stumbled to finish his chores. In danger or not, his animals needed to be tended and fed.

Besides, where could he run?

It was useless to flee from Herobrine once he singled you out for his personal spoils. All the books that Steve hungrily read in town library after his first visit to the mansion, warned that the powerful dark demigod enjoyed to play games with mortals he selected as targets for his amusement. So long as they remained passive and not challenging, the being would not kill them. If they remained in place, not attempting to escape, he would eventually lose interest and go looking for better entertainment.

Steve understood that he gained the demigod's attention simply because he had been mistaken for a foolish champion, who invaded Herobrine's keep to single-handedly challenge him. It had been a miracle that the being spared Steve, then. And even healed him? Steve's memories of the latest parts of the events were very fuzzy.