Hunted: Safe

Continuation of Hunted Chapter. Anna's POV. (Couldn't resist). Dedicated to whoever ever wished that they could give Herobrine bread. (Thanks, Faithful41).

_______________

Four Years Ago...

She could barely concentrate on her work!

Her hands almost shook with excitement when she finally came back and logged into her server status overview. By now, the general game chat messages online began to calm, turning to frustration when no more summons brought Herobrine to them. Most concluded that he finally managed to figure out how to escape that trap and wondered what new method would the Admin come up with to try and mess with their unruly fugitive program next time.

Anna hurried to check her own server logs and saw only silence since her own last message. 

No message saying that Herobrine had left the game. She really hoped that he listened to her words and stayed, though he did not look in any mood to trust her at the time.

She could barely believe that this just happened!

When she saw the message, 'Herobrine joined the game', she first assumed that it was Timothy, playing one of his usual jokes. She was even excited, though surprised, too, since her little brother should have been in school at the time. He had also complained that her server was too boring, so he didn't want to play on it anymore. And that was a month ago.

Only Cyrus was not showing online.

He was pretty good at hacking the game, but he wasn't that good. 

Anna then simply teleported from her castle to the world spawn, just to take a good look around. And that's when she saw him. 

Herobrine.

He ran a few steps, only to fall and remain motionless. The man wore the familiar teal and blue, appearing tattered. And when he turned around, she saw his eyes – narrowed and gleaming white.

It was him. The very raid boss and glitch that she had grown so obsessed with, ever since one of her friends showed her a video of him, looking at some player from the fog. There was so much speculation, wondering if the original Herobrine had somehow returned to the Game. Then, the Admin said that it wasn't him, but that it was one of the characters from their mod, who somehow glitched. The rumors did not stop, even after he had been captured and tested. He was still a legend, come to life, or the next best thing – an AI, who looked exactly like the original and appeared to be sentient.

And now he was here!

He didn't seem inclined to talk, glaring at her as if he wanted to kill her, despite laying there powerless, his body trembling slightly under stress. When she checked the forums, she understood why. She had been so busy with work, barely getting a free minute to spend online, and devoting all to building while her inspiration lasted, that she completely missed the last update that the Admin rolled into the main game.

They had added a summoning mod, which allowed players to build a totem, drawing nearest Herobrine clone directly to them. It worked on real Herobrine, too. The poor guy ended up getting trapped into countless hunts, forcing him to fight and kill players. No wonder he gave her such a defeated look when he saw her. He must have expected her to act as all the other players did.

Her heart nearly broke at the memory and she made a sniffle at the memory of his face. So angry and helpless, waiting, as he didn't even attempt to get away. Exhausted. That bitter look softened a little after she told him that she wouldn't hurt him, changing to disbelief. Thinking of how awkward and dorky she sounded, trying to convince him to stay, she felt her cheeks flush with embarrassment and blew out a nervous breath.