Waiting

Lost Heroes, Demigods, and Creatures of Forgotten Ages.

Again, Steve looked at the words scribbled in neat handwriting right beneath the title of the book, before returning to the page where he held his finger.

Upon the page was an illustration of a man, whose face was covered by a skull mask. A ragged black robe hung across a skeletal frame. In one hand, bony, pale fingers held a black flame that resembled a distorted skull.

Steve stared at the being with morbid fascination, his blue eyes curiously flicking to the symbols that lay beneath the image, doubtlessly describing the menacing being's title and history. There was no accompanying note, though, for which Steve was searching for. Disappointed, Steve carefully turned the page of the book and curiously eyed the next image.

A beautiful woman looked back at him with somber, brown eyes half concealed in shadow of long, dark eyelashes. Disdainful, yet playful smile held on her softly shaped face framed by silky, black locks gently cascading to her exposed shoulders. A spiky crown or maybe a mask, adorned with numerous spider eyes rested upon her forehead. And a gown of silk streamed down her body, revealing shapely forms. Only at the waist her body changed to that of an enormous spider. Skulls and rotten bones of unfortunate heroes, bewitched by her alluring beauty to their deaths, formed a pedestal beneath her spiky legs.

Steve nervously huffed. "Um... Arachnia?" He muttered a quiet guess and immediately flinched at the sound of skittling spiders above the numerous bookshelves where countless spiderwebs hung like a canopy. His search did not find any of the local eight-legged residents. He still couldn't help a slightly nervous shiver as he looked down back to the book.

The being shown in the previous picture was probably a necromancer of some kind. This one he thought he dimly recognized. He had read before some ancient tale about the Spider Queen – a woman whose search into the dark magic arts and various poisons led her to studying spiders and creating an elixir that could grant eternal beauty and youth. Only, it came at a price. Once taken, the potion transformed that woman into a spider, granting her powers to command all such mobs and also to choose to be reborn from one of her own eggs if killed. The legend also mentioned that she felt an irresistible compulsion to draw worthy heroes into her lair, where she would consume them after granting such passion that they would die still smiling as they were lost in pleasant dreams.

"Arachnia... Or... Black Widow?" He squinted as another story tried to emerge from recesses of his mind. His blue eyes thoughtfully fell to the crown and he nodded. "No... Definitely Arachnia." He firmly concluded in a barely audible voice.

He turned to the next page.

A man with a single mauve eye, the other covered with a black band featuring a skull with crossed bones, looked at him from the bow of his ship. Instead of one hand, holding on firmly to the rudder was a strange metallic contraption. A sharp looking hooked blade lay folded up along metal cords that reminded Steve of tendons running up and disappearing beneath the sleeve of the man's dark, tattered robe. More metal showed below his knee, replacing one of his legs. The man's long coat whipped about his gaunt, but muscular body in the strong wind and splashes of water from raging waves. The sails of the ship looked ghostly, flying like rags on a skeletal form of the ship behind the man.

Steve didn't even attempt to guess. Looking below the image, he found the translated words written in even, accurate handwriting between the foreign symbols. "Cursed Captain... Destined to sail the seas to the End of the Worlds".

Curiously, Steve studied the image, then turned to the next page.

The next image held two figures. A man with a smirk on his pale, young face, while an aura of fire and flame roared behind him. Two bat like wings, folded, held in the semblance of a huge trailing cape behind his back. On his head lay a thin circlet of silver metal. His clothing comprised of a black suit that looked strangely unmarred while lava burned behind him where another imposing figure stood – a skeleton with a heavy crown of rubies upon his head, holding a scepter.