Messages

Apologies for my poor writing skills and not writing this story as it should go. It reflects my tangled thought process. Thanks for sticking with the story to everyone who managed to make it thus far. Also apologies for rewriting this chapter. The story would not let me proceed until I "fixed" it.

This chapter: Herobrine has quite a few messages waiting for him when he finally manages to access the System. He must renew his old contacts and review available information, before he can decide what to do next.

...

Sounds came. Waves lazily splashed. Rolling movement told him that he stood on a small ship, steadily making its way across a massive water expanse. The air around him held scents of moisture and salt.

Squinting his eyes open, Herobrine curiously observed the endless blue of calm sea. Sun brightly shone above, directly overhead. A breeze swept through his hair and against his clothes, touching his skin with pleasant cool relief, and pulled against faintly creaking, dull-white sails on wooden masts.

Herobrine's gaze swept around him and found his twin standing a few steps away. He, himself, had appeared on the edge of the stairs leading down to what was probably a cabin below the deck. Curious about what this interaction with his predecessor's fragment might reveal, Herobrine studied his twin's broad back, wondering if the fellow had been this muscular the last time he saw him. The stance of the other man held quiet and steady power that for some reason reminded Herobrine of the earth.

Dressed in his usual teal shirt and blue trousers, his twin stood with his strong, calloused hands calmly resting on the wooden rails framing the vessel's side. He was looking into the distance, where Herobrine now glimpsed distant patches of approaching green, islands so covered with jungle vegetation that in some places the branches spilled right over into the water. In other places, tall rocky outcrops rose in black crags nearly straight up, with sandy beaches stretching in between. Dolphins dove in and out of streams left in the wake of the moving ship.

"I have always loved the sea. Did you know, Herobrine?"

A quietly spoken voice sounded very unlike the amused, mischievous tone that his twin used in the past. Herobrine curiously eyed him. This had also been the first time that his predecessor's remnant had used that name in addressing him.

The man before him turned and gave him a calm smile. Sky blue eyes held contentment. Herobrine unwillingly shifted, his breath catching within in surprise.

Steve?

The other man turned away and resumed watching the serene seascape. Above, distant seagulls circled, making their hunting calls.

No. This couldn't be Steve.

This human seemed older. His form and face had been more mature than those of the strange young player without memories. He was also calm and sure of himself, unlike Steve, who constantly hesitated and gave uneasy smiles.

He was probably just dreaming again...

Immediately, the vision faded, leaving Herobrine in the darkness. Already awake, he could see the faint ticking of the timer in the corner of his vision, which told him that his scanning process had not yet finished. He must have fallen asleep again.

With his eyes still closed, Herobrine stretched and yawned.

What even brought this strange dream to his mind?

He wasn't even thinking of Steve when he once again began to drop off into a slumber. After finally gaining access to the System and glancing at the personal messages waiting there for him across several accounts, his eyes held on a very familiar name, which he hoped not to see again. He had immediately tried to dismiss that message to trash, but his power glitched. He then stared at it and scowled, seething at his current lack of power. He then dismissed his interface entirely to avoid the reminder and tried to calm down.