Chapter 50

"Hey," I whispered as I slumped in the seat next to Billy. "Did Sarah head out?"

"Yeah, she went to get the kids," Billy casually offered as he wrapped his hand around mine.

"How are you feeling?" I asked.

"Like I've been in a car accident."

"Fair." As I spoke, I lifted his hand and kissed it.

"Lil, before everyone crowds in here, I just..." His eyes pour over me, glistening with unshed tears.

"I love you too, Billy."

He smiled at my acknowledgment as the door opened, and Tim wheeled in with Tess and Mary close behind.

"Don't get up for me; I brought my own seat," Tim announced.

"I almost died, and you still make me endure your terrible jokes," Billy groaned.

"Mary, sit here," I offered as I slipped my hand from Billy and settled on the windowsill as everyone else converged on Billy.

Tess noticed and quietly sat next to me. After a few minutes, she bumped her shoulder into mine.

"He's going to be okay, you know," she soothed.

"Yeah, I know."

"With both the accident and Sarah," she added.

"I don't want this for him," I murmured. "He's supposed to be happy."

"He said the same thing about you when he found out about your divorce."

"Do you think..."

"I don't know, Lil. Sometimes I hope they divorce, and other times I hope they figure it out. Like you, I just want him to be happy. But I can tell you that your showing up today was his best medicine."

"I don't want to add to their issues," I admitted.

"Oh honey, you are a drop in the ocean with those two. You be you; let Billy be Billy. It's what makes you two so special," Tess advised.

"What are you two whispering about?" Billy asked as he stretched a hand out to me.

"Oh, evil plans; the usual," I teased.

"Come on," Billy prodded as he shifted in the bed.

"Billy, you have bruises all over your body; I'm not getting into that tiny bed with you. Mary, tell him he is ridiculous," I whined.

"Lily, I love you, but I love my boy more. If he thinks you being by his side is what he needs to heal, then I'll help you up," she countered.

"Thank you, Mom," Billy triumphantly said.

"Fine," I grumbled before I wedged in next to Billy. "There's a super dull documentary on one of the World Wars on the History Channel," I added.

"Perfect." Billy flicked on the documentary.

"Oh, well, perfect timing; Anthony is here to pick me up," Mary announced as she glanced at her phone.

"And we should get Tim back to his own bed," Tess added.

"Thanks for coming, everyone. I'm sorry I gave you all such a scare," Billy offered, gathering a round of I-love-you's as everyone filtered out the door.

Once the door clicked behind them, Billy tucked me further into his side. "I'm sorry for the reason, but I'm glad you are here," he whispered.

"Billy, do you want to talk about Sarah?" I asked.

"Not really," he admitted.

"Okay, well, if you do..."

"Why did you and Sam give up?" He asked.

"Well, we wanted different things," I explained.

"But you still love him?" He continued.

"Yeah. He was the one that came this morning and told me about your accident," I added.

"Really?" Surprise filled Billy's voice.

"Mmhmm."

"Are you still attracted to him? So, that might be too personal," Billy acknowledged.

I let out a laugh. "Since when has anything been too personal for us?"

"Fair."

"Yes, I'm still attracted to him. Romance was never our problem," I admitted.

"Really? After ten years, you two were still..."

"Oh yeah, two, three times a week. Why are you and Sarah..."

"I'm still attracted to her," Billy answered.

"Well, that's a start," I offered.

"Wasn't enough for you and Sam," Billy countered.

"Honestly, we were holding each other back. That was the real reason. Honestly, I believe Sam will be happier with someone else."

"What? Who?" Billy stiffened at my comment.

"I don't know. Someone." I shrugged.

A nurse bustling in interrupted our conversation.

"Hello, Mr. Collins," she began without looking up from her chart. "It looks like you've been refusing pain meds. Have you reconsidered yet?" As she finished, her eyes fell on us in the bed. "What on earth?"

"No pain meds for me. Thank you for offering, though," Billy answered.

"Mr. Collins..."

"Please call me Billy," he corrected.

"I have to insist that it is only one person to a bed," the nurse explained.

"I won't tell if you don't?" Billy hopefully offered. "Lily makes me feel better.

The nurse dipped her head into her chart. "Lily, your sister?" The nurse said with confusion.

"Um, we're a very close family," I offered.

"Mmhmm," the nurse said as she backed away slowly and left.

"You told them you were my sister?" Billy laughed.

"Actually, your mom did. It was the only way they would let me see you," I explained.

"Well, that will be a fun little tabloid article to clip for the scrapbook," he chuckled.

"You heard her, though. I should sleep in the chair," I argued.

"Did you hear me? I feel better with you right where you are, and I'm the patient," Billy countered, knowing he would win.

I carefully settled in, resting my head on his shoulder, where it seemed to cause the least amount of pain.

"Lil, I'm really sorry about today. I know this was one of your biggest fears," Billy apologized.

"It's not like you did it on purpose," I soothed.

"I know, but I keep thinking about if the roles were reversed. I don't think I would've kept it together like you."

"You think that was together?" I joked.

"Yes. So, I came up with a plan," Billy continued.

"Oh, no."

"You move in with me, work remotely, and I'll child... er Lily proof your room," he planned.

"All buttoned up, safe and sound."

"Yep," Billy proudly agreed.

"Sounds great, except you realize I'm not a porcelain doll, right?"

"Mmhmm, I figured it wouldn't fly." He tucked me in further to his side. "But you can't blame me for trying."

I flew back to Portland the next day. We didn't mention Sarah again. I figured he'd talk more about it if and when he was ready. All I cared about was that he was safe. And to ensure that I knew he was safe at all times, I demanded he text every hour for the rest of his life. He immediately refused, but I started getting morning and evening texts, if not a call. I was satisfied.