Chapter 46

Breakups should be loud and messy, the last fight for the affection that was once there. My breakup with Sam was quiet, peaceful, and mature, occurring on a lackluster late-summer Sunday after I had spent a month contemplating the comfort of life. I felt crazy; people spend their whole life looking for the comfort and security I had with Sam. He was a good man that showed me nothing but love, and I was about to blow it all up.

As I heavily fell to the couch, Sam knew what was coming. His typically magnetic brown eyes filled with sympathy for me, him, us.

"So, this is us..." I began.

He flicked off the football game to give me his full attention. "I know..."

I gazed out the window at the perfectly manicured matchbox yard that faced a copy of our house. The entire neighborhood was a rinse-and-repeat example of neighborhood planning. It was a wonder that I even managed to make it to the right home on a day-to-day basis.

"It's just..." I started.

"Not right," Sam finished.

"You feel it too?"

"Of course. I just... I wanted it to be a rut, Lilt. I love you." His eyes exuded an empty hope.

"I love you too, but I don't think it's a rut." Part of me wanted it to be a phase, something we could pull ourselves out of, but neither of us were fighting.

"What are you thinking?" He knew I'd have a plan; I always had a plan.

"Well," I began with a heavy sigh. "You're gone for work this week, so I figure I'll pack up some of my things and stay with Anna."

"Anna," he said her name with a tone of relief.

"Yeah, she has a spare room, and it's close to work." I was in the safety of logistics mode.

"I love you, Lily." He pulled himself up as he spoke. For a moment, I saw the man I met in a first-class seat ten years ago.

It all started with a flight attendant wanting my drink order and Sam offering me an anonymous nudge beside me. I hadn't imagined I'd ever see him again. He was just a guy I flirted with on a plane and spilled all my love life woes. But here we were ten years later.

"I love you too, Sam."

I missed the cheeky boy from the plane, but that boy wanted the map before him. He loved the house in the cookie-cutter neighborhood. I'd catch his eyes lingering on neighboring yards as a dad taught his kids to toss a football or shoot hoops. It was a quiet, standard life that he wanted, that I had thought I wanted, but there was a pull in the back of my mind. Even as my marriage was dissolving, I didn't feel the draw to a different life; I was too focused on the tug away from my current one.

"You're going to find someone that wants what you want," I offered. "You're going to be a great dad," I quietly added.

"Lily, if that's..." Sam began.

"Sam, look me in the eye and tell me you'll be happy without kids. If you can say that, I'll fight," I challenged.

Sam's warm chocolate eyes met mine. "Lily, I love you. I've never stopped loving you. Nothing has changed that."

"Sam, I know you love me, but there are kids destined for you, and I won't deny them a life."

"How can you be so sure?" Sam pleaded.

"Because I know you; I love you. You deserve to be happy, fully happy. I don't want kids. I can't make you happy, not the way you deserve."

"Don't make this about me, Lil," Sam challenged.

"You're right, Sam. I'm not a martyr. I'm not happy. There is something else out there for me; I can feel it. I have loved the past decade with you, Sam. I wouldn't give it up for the world, but I just don't see us in the future, not together. Tell me you do," I prodded.

Sam slumped to the couch. "I can't," He admitted. "It's just..." Sam let out a heavy sigh. "Lily, you choosing me, knowing that, having you by the side, has filled me with more confidence than I can ever explain. I wouldn't be the man I am today if not for you."

"I feel the same way," I offered.

"Should we give up on that?" Sam asked.

"I don't think we're giving up on that, Sam. The love I have for you will never go away. I don't want it to, and I will always support you. I'm so proud of the man you are."

"Lily, is this really what you want? I don't care that you can't have kids. I love you."

"You're the best human, Sam, but I really think this is for the best," I admitted. "I didn't come to this lightly. Tell me you haven't thought about it. Tell me you didn't feel the disconnect."

"I have, and I do," Sam admitted in defeat. "I love you, Lily."

"I love you, Sam."

The breakup sucked, as I knew it would, but I could breathe again, and within a year, Sam found a new life with a woman that wanted the map.