Chapter 53

"Okay, so what do we need to do?" I asked as I stood gazing around the kitchen.

"About what?" Billy asked over his shoulder as he washed the lunch dishes.

"Kids coming; should we lock the drawers or something?" I pulled open a drawer filled with old ketchup packets and chopsticks.

"Yes, nail them shut; it must be our only option."

"Sarcasm noted and not appreciated."

"Lil." Billy dried his hands and grasped my shoulders. "This is their house. It's already set up for them. There's no additional kid-proofing needed. This is going to be fine; it might even be fun." He gazed straight into my eyes.

I knew his words were supposed to be soothing, but they panicked me even more.

"Geez, Lil, I've never seen you like this." His chest jolted with a silent laugh as he pulled me in for a hug.

"And now you know why I don't have kids. I can barely keep myself alive; the thought of keeping a child safe is the most frightening thing in the entire world."

"Well then, it sounds like you have the right attitude, at least."

"Yes, protect young life at all costs. I'm ready to throw myself in front of oncoming buses," I murmured into his shoulder.

"Lucky for you, the city changed the bus route last week, and it no longer goes through the house."

"Sarcasm noted and still not appreciated," I muttered again as I pushed off him. "Is Sarah dropping them off?"

"I'd assume so, but I guess I don't know for sure. She could send her mom to drop them off." Billy was overly calm about the prospect of seeing Sarah.

The answer came shortly after as a car door slam rattled the front windows. Sarah's long, elegant frame was pacing to the front door with Jackson in her arms and Viv scampering up the steps ahead of her. Billy was just a second late to get the door ahead of Sarah's knock.

"Why would you knock on the door?" Viv was irritated by how silly her mom's knock had been. "We're home," she added as she crashed into Billy's legs, burrowing her head into his knees.

"Hey, Vivee." He patted her head as he spoke. "Hey, Sarah," Billy added as he lifted his face to hers and his arms to Jackson, who happily switched to his father with an inaudible babble.

"Hi," Sarah spoke with an awkwardness that seemed to culminate when her eyes flicked to me.

"How's your mom?" Billy asked in the tight voice he used when trying to sound pleasant and casual, but he felt anything but pleasant and casual.

"Well, Viv certainly kept her on her toes this week." They shared a laugh as they both moved their gaze to Viv, who was running literal circles around Billy's legs.

"I can take them more; I want them more. Just let me know; I can adjust my schedule," Billy offered.

"Yeah, we'll figure all that out." Sarah's words were short again. "Hello, Lily." She nodded to me. "You look well."

"Thank you," I weakly said. Sarah always made me feel inadequate with her effortless beauty and grace. "So do you, as always."

"Well, I should get going before I miss my flight." She said her goodbyes to the kids and passed along a few recent updates. Jackson had a fever a couple of nights ago; Viv had been refusing to eat anything but toast with peanut butter, which, incidentally, made me crave toast with peanut butter.

"Viv, do you remember my friend Lily? She's your godmother." Billy introduced after Sarah departed.

"Are you married to Uncle Tim and Aunt Tess?" Viv asked as she rested her head on Billy's legs again.