Chapter 27

"So..." Billy slumped down to the far end of the couch.

"This is awkward," I agreed.

"Well, it's more awkward now that you've declared it," Billy griped.

"Seriously? Me saying it out loud is worse than 'so...'?"

"Ah, yeah. Why do you think people always walk around not stating the obvious?"

"What are you talking about? Tim always states the obvious. I swear, yesterday at lunch, he stopped the entire conversation to declare that he had two forks and no spoon," I argued.

"Woah, boiling down the entire human race to Tim is not cool and deeply pessimistic," Billy scolded.

"Look who's stating the obvious now? I just got dumped; deeply pessimistic is my role right now," I reminded.

"Okay, fine. I'll allow it for now, but only because you were ruthlessly dumped right in front of your charming and happily coupled ex," Billy smirked.

"I'm sorry; is this you helping?"

"Yes, this is me helping. What did you expect? Somber glances and apologetic winces?"

"You mean, you? Did I expect to act like you? Yes, that's exactly what I expected," I declared.

"Well, look where that got you. Now, what do you want for pizza?" He asked as he pulled out his phone.

"I want one sausage and caramelized onions and one eggplant and Kalamata olive," I added a curt smile and nodded to accent my order.

"You want two pizzas?" Billy raised an eyebrow at me.

"I'm mending a broken heart here! Don't judge me!"

"Mmhmm, seems like you'll be mending some heartburn a bit later, too," he murmured to himself as he dialed to order.

I made a funny face at him as I flicked on the television to find a movie. "Ugh, this selection is terrible," I complained once he was off the phone.

"Were you always this whiney? I don't recall the whiney."

"Yes, I was always this adorably whiney!" I barked.

"Okay, adorably whiney. That's how I'll introduce you from now on; I think it gives a snapshot of who you are," Billy smiled.

"You know, I don't care for this side of you," I declared.

"Oh really? How about this one?" He asked as he lifted his head in a fake regal pose.

"Really? That was cheesy, even by Tim's standard?"

"Yeah," he said while holding the pose. "Or am I turning you on? Are you regretting your life's decisions and wishing you could get this back? You can be honest."

"You're making me miss Sam more and more every minute," I shot.

He dropped his face to meet my gaze. "Do you miss him?" His voice was more sincere now.

"Yeah, I do. I really liked him. He just fit, you know?"

"Yeah, I know. I'm sorry, Lil." Billy's face dropped.

"Hey," I nudged him with my foot. "I'm glad you're here, though. This is good; us being friends."

"I know," he mournfully murmured. "I'm just sorry that me being here caused so many problems," he continued as his voice tipped up into the higher pitch voice that marked my Billy. "I mean, I know how hard it is to have such a talented, successful, and devilishly handsome ex." Despite his face still being tipped down, I could see his dimples.