Chapter 17

I had spent so much time thinking about what I wasn't looking for in life and love that I had never stopped to ponder what I wanted. As I pushed open the door to the brightly lit tasting room of Root Wild, the thought knocked around in my head. The echoing ideas stole my focus as I took solace in being half an hour early; I had plenty of time to figure out the mysteries of the impending entry into full adulthood and love. Sure, it may take some people a lifetime of starts, failures, and stops, but I could do it in thirty minutes before an awkward first date. That's when everyone makes their best decisions. I almost laughed out loud at my absurdity.

"Hey," his voice had the curtness of energetic nerves.

"Sam, you're early" wasn't my most welcoming greeting.

"I could accuse you of the same," he skillfully volleyed. "A kombucha place; unusual."

I couldn't tell if he was annoyed, intrigued, or just looking for a way to break the ice. "They have beer," I quickly offered.

"No, no; it's different. I like it."

"Hey, Lil," Frank shot from behind the bar. "Who's your friend?"

"Hey, Frank, this is Sam. Sam, this is Frank, boochmaster extraordinaire."

The two nodded at each other, and I swear there was a cave dweller grunt between them.

"Grapefruit?" Frank asked as he already started the pour.

"Of course," I smiled before turning my attention to Sam. "Make up your mind?"

"I was thinking of getting a flight." He was still inspecting the menu as he tentatively spoke.

"You have no idea what kombucha is, do you?" I teased.

"Not the faintest idea."

"If you want the long story, ask Frank. If you want the short story, it's a fermented tea, tangy, high in probiotics."

"Probiotics, like yogurt?"

"Yeah, pretty much." I shrugged.

"Ok, I'll get a flight. You go get a table; I'll get our drinks."

I grabbed a seat in the corner and watched Sam and Frank share a brief exchange. For a moment, I let my mind wander to my last normal date-like encounter. Did the malt and egg cream barely a block away from here count as normal? It both felt like yesterday and a million years ago, all at the same time.

"Hey, earth to Lily," Sam slid in next to me.

"Sorry, did you say something?" I shook my head to push Billy to the back of my mind.

"How was your day?" It was a repeated question.

"Good, I spent it in the library."

"So, how's the final year going?" Everything from his smile to his eyes to his posture was casual.

"Good, next semester should be pretty light, which was my plan, because someone told me I should spend it looking for a job."

"Hey, maybe it was just me, but it took a bit more than I expected to find something I wanted and someplace that wanted me. Do you know what you want?"

The question almost made me burst into a fit of laughter. Not knowing what I wanted was my current defining feature.

"No, I'm still feeling my way through most things," I managed.

Our conversation developed organically. Sam had all the transition anecdotes from terrible interview answers to first-year office wardrobe mishaps. Before we knew it, Frank was shooing us away so he could close the tasting room.

"Is it too forward to tack on a dinner date to our drinks date?" Sam's eyes had infectious fun to them that consistently pulled a smile to my lips. I was so used to being cautious in relationships, but Sam's contagious energy disarmed me with every smile.

"No," fell from my lips.

"Any good places around here?"

As he spoke, he tucked his hands in his coat, but jutted his elbow toward me, beckoning me to grasp it. I didn't resist; I wrapped my arms around his and bowed my head to hide the smile that extended across my cheeks and warmed me down to my toes.

"There's a great El Salvadorian place that makes delicious burritos," I nodded toward Tu Casa.

"Sounds messy. A bold choice for a date," Sam teased.

"Well, I figure you'll see me eat like a heathen soon enough. Might as well get it out of the way now."

"I like the sound of dates to come."

I flushed as I hadn't noticed how forward my assertion had been, but I was relieved that he was of the same mindset.

"So, because this has bitten me with dates past," he continued as we walked arm in arm down the street, "I have a terrible work schedule."

"Oh right, first-class," I teased.

"I believe I gave you that nickname." His eyes gleamed with the yellow reflections of the lights from passing storefronts.

"But, yeah. I'm pretty much gone Mondays through Thursdays." There was less confidence in him, as he was candid about his perceived flaw.

I tried to stifle my smile. I could see many seeing a man traveling four days a week as a nightmare. How could you build consistency? But those girls hadn't tried to date a man who traveled for weeks and months. Even when Billy wasn't traveling, his hours were so off that quality time was still limited. I swallowed in another attempt to tuck Billy into the back of my mind once again. I shouldn't be comparing them. It was unfair to both.

"Well, I have classes Mondays and Wednesdays. I usually focus on homework and starting my job search on the others, so it sounds like a very compatible schedule to me." It felt good to feel excited, to build something with someone.

"So, I probably shouldn't be quite so forward, but would you be willing to give me and my cheesy jokes a second date?"

"I thought I already said yes to burritos." I let a giggle out that was far too genuine. Part of me wanted to look around for the girl that was supposed to be in this Hallmark movie.

"Very true; I guess I'm looking forward to our third date." He gave me a wink as he held the door to the restaurant.