Broken Hearts

~°°°~

When your prayers get answered
When your wishes are fulfilled
When the happiness towers
And the smile that slips
Across the lips
As you gaze at the sky
With gratitude
It strengthens your belief
Giving you relief
When you aren't aware
About the trials that will follow
Turning your life hollow
You are just content
With how life went
And is still going
'cause everything is perfect
And everything falls in place
The sadness leaving no trace
And in your haste
You let go of the desire
That used to rest in you
The desire for revenge
The desire to avenge

~°°°~

As they sat in mental asylum, his gaze swept to the man sitting across them in office.
"He's dead"?
He asked in sheer shock.

The man across the desk set his glasses on the bridge of his nose with his finger before letting out a soft sigh as he placed his intwined hands on the desk,
"I'm sorry Waris sahab. It's already been three years. He died due to a neurological disease three years ago. We had informed Zulfikar sahab and he had asked to proceed his funeral yet he didn't himself show up. It's been three years now".

Waris Shah was at loss of words. Utterly taken aback.

Ever so slowly, he turned his head towards her frame that seemed to have frozen. Yet from a keen view, one could see how her frame was quivering ever so slightly.

Waris Shah's gaze went to her lap where her quivering hands rested.

Letting out a soft sigh, he reached his hand and softly enveloped them in his, putting a gentle pressure to ease the quivering as if  to assure her he was there.
He could feel her palms sweating.

"I'm sorry for your loss".
The manager spoke gesturing for them to look at the file that was opened in front of them.

Zarar Zulfikar Shah.

The name kept echoing in the back of her head. Imsaal was in the state of shock. She couldn't process it. Couldn't make herself believe.
What type of prank it was?
It couldn't be true.
How could it be?

She had waited eight years for him to show up. Eight years to meet him. Eight years she was kept away from him. Eight years she struggled to find where her father was being kept. Atleast she had this hope that Zulfikar Shah would never harm his own child and that her father was safe and sound and alive out there.

What was she supposed to do now?
It felt so painful. The way her heart squeezed in her chest. The way it was becoming difficult for her to speak. The way her head throbbed in pain. The way fragments of memories from childhood flashed at the back of her head. The savior, the protector, her superhero, her superdad, her beloved father wasn't there anymore. She couldn't meet him. Couldn't talk to him. The desire she had kept in her heart for eight years to meet him couldn't be fulfilled.

Tears began dripping down her lashes getting absorbed in the beige veil as she clutched the maroon shawl tightly around her frame while the other hand remained in his grasp that was so gentle.

The manager cleared his throat closing the file and standing up, as he spoke,
"I'll give you privacy".

He than walked out closing the door of the office behind.

Waris Shah turned and took in the quivering form of his wife. The way she was shaking like an autumn life made something in his heart churn so painfully.