The Truth

The Wicked Witch

It's been three months since I've been here and this is the first time I'll be going 'home' since then. I don't know why I bother to call it home anymore when nothing's there to hold me down. Nerves run through me, making me jittery. Lucas agreed to let me visit my grandmother easily as long as he could come. I agreed mainly because I trust him... mostly. The idea of finally sharing part of my secret still scares me but Delilah cornered me before we left an demanded I take him to see them.

"Do I turn here?" asks Lucas breaking me out of my melancholy thoughts.

I look around and realize we've already reached my grandma's development. "Uh yeah turn here and it's the third house on the left."

"The little brick one with roses out front?" asks Lucas chuckling.

"Yup but don't let that fool you in to thinking my grandma's a sweet little old lady."

"Are you saying she isn't a sweet little old lady?" asks Lucas turning to me as we pull up the driveway.

"Only if sweet little old ladies swear at their granddaughter when they lose at cards," I say as he parks the car and we get out. Fishing around in my purse I pull out my keys and unlock the door.

"Grandma," I call out as we enter. I set the giant bottle of scotch I had Lucas bring as a gift on the counter and continue through the kitchen to the living room. "Grandma are you home?"

"Doll-baby is that you?" calls a voice from the back hall.

"Yes Grandma it's me," I shout. back "I brought a guest with me!"

"I'm coming," says Grandma as she emerges from the back hallway and puts her glasses on. "There we are let's look at you!" She hold me at arms length before pulling me down with surprisingly strong arms into a hug.

"I missed you Grandma," I whisper clinging to her. For a small old little my grandma has spunk and kick still left in her. She's always been there for me and I love her for it.

"I know," she says softly. "I know." So much more than a greeting passes between us during that hug but I'm not ready to tell Lucas. I don't know if I'll ever be truly ready.

"Who's this?" she asks eagerly when we break apart.

Lucas steps forward and introduces himself, "Hello my names Lucas Parker, I'm Violet's boyfriend. It's a pleasure to meet you." He says it all so smoothly I almost miss that he called himself my boyfriend. I narrow my eyes at him but don't say anything in front of my grandma.

"How nice to meet you," says Grandma smiling at him. "I'm Violet's grandmother, Doris Raulph but you can call me Doris. Violet never mentioned she was bringing a boyfriend." She narrows her eyes as she says the last bit.

"Sorry Grandma," I say smiling at her. "I forgot to mention it. It totally slipped my mind."

"That's no excuse young lady," she chides at me. "Well I can see you have your bags so go ahead and take them to the back room and then I'll serve dinner."

"Okay," I says walking past her and to the back hall where the bedrooms are. I go to the back room and drop my bag on the far bed. "Ugh, next time I'm packing less!"

"I'm assuming you want that bed," says Lucas smiling at me. "Unless you want to share it?"

"Hell no," I reply. I may not freak out around him now but that doesn't mean I want to sleep in the same bed as him.

"Fine," sighs Lucas. "Are you ready for dinner, cause it smells good."

"Okay let's go," I says standing.